Fall Project . . . .

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Fall Project . . . .

Post by kHT »

I put in our back walkway some 10 years ago, well long story made short . . . . . it was filling up with pine needles so it's was
time to clean it out and rethink how it was going back down. I put plastic down and layer of sand before adding the rock, but after
having to dig the rocks out not this time. Plastic was down so sand went next, then landscape fabric then the rocks! We are adding
some added pavers so that the back chairs have a flat surface to rest on.

Anyone else tackling a fall project
Attachments
DSC05130.JPG
DSC05130.JPG (46.88 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
eastwood2007

Re: Fall Project . . . .

Post by eastwood2007 »

Very nice, Karma....good luck with it!

Indeed I am working on fall projects....mostly my spring projects that aren't yet finished... :lol:

However, one project that I have been getting ready for 2 years now, I get to do....a new hosta/perennial bed from my composted leaves I've been collecting....it gets tilled and planted before Sept. 1....Yippppppeeeeeee!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Charla, thanks for your comment and best of luck with your project. Photos would be nice.

I'm on hold as I layed out a pattern and went to get the last pavers Wed. night to hear DH say at Lowes
ya know it would be nice to pave the whole south end instead of putting the rock back in. My heart sunk
and now I'm moving the patterns to wait for more pavers. I'll post photos when it's all done. In the mean time
I'll be cleaning more rock!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

Today I moved the pavers all the way to the north so that all I have to do is fill in the last of what is
needed, then the fried hostas were next!! I leveled the hosta bed due to the sap found on some of the
leaves and will have about an inch of pine needles to remove.
Attachments
DSC05160.JPG
DSC05160.JPG (66.99 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Pretty sure your hostas will love a ground cower of needles

??? Did you lay plastic first ? Holes or ?
Just can't find the reason for a layer of plastic, then grit, then fabric ... sure I missed something

Fall projects :eek: they started last fall and most aren't finished yet
Patio is and fence.. ecept it may be too high or to close to the plot line to accept..someone complained about it and a ingeniour from the local comunity told me, I had to take it down... no ay I am willing too... it is made for plants inside and outside..and they have to wait a year or more to see it for real
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
kHT

Post by kHT »

The reason for the plastic was to keep the sand and rock from going into the clay, so when I decided to redo I
decided after digging up all the rocks out of the sand it was leave the plastic, yes with holes in it for drainage where
it was. Then I put the sand down to make is soft and I didn't want to have to dig up the stones again so the landscape
fabric down before putting in the rocks. When I dug up the sand there was a layer of dirt on the top from decay after the
past 10 years.

My hostas were fried and when they were cut back they were filled with pine needes to the point a couple were choking.
Anyone need some pine needle mulch?

So sorry to hear about your fence, I sure hope you get it straightened out soon.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

I laid the last of the pavers yesterday and now will fill in with the rocks, after todays rain delay!
Attachments
DSC05446.JPG
DSC05446.JPG (58.51 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
DSC05447.JPG
DSC05447.JPG (60.51 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

All done and 17 buckets of rocks left!
Attachments
south half
south half
DSC05627.JPG (64.28 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
north half
north half
DSC05628.JPG (67.86 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

At least someone is getting something done. It looks just great. I like how you use the different hard scape materials, especially the pattern in the paver surface.
Glo
kHT

Post by kHT »

Thanks govgirl75, I'll post the next project that we were forced to do when they get it done! Yep more problems with the neighbor!! :roll:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I was thinking the same thing - I wish my one fall project could get done like that :D

We have a spot next to the nursery, just as you pull up, where we had compost delivered a couple times, but was mostly overgrown with weeds. The plan was to put in a display garden there, and this was to finally be the year to do it. I sprayed with roundup early in the summer, then leveled it, then sprayed roundup again... We pulled weeds out once... Now it needs to be sprayed again, but I also need to put some kind of retaining wall in there. Heard that the landfill sells boulders for $39/ton, so I might call them. Not sure how many tons I need to do it, or if they deliver, but maybe I'll do a stone wall there.

Wish I had more time and money for things like this - we really have to tighten our belts this time of year, since winter is coming and we really have to watch the budget for a few months. But with luck we'll get this one project done this fall - I'll think about yours for inspritation that it CAN be done :)
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Chris,
Maybe we need a Hallson's Weekend Project. It could be like the July get together except we could come to help you and Brian with the big project. You are so good to all of us, it would be a good way to return the kindness. I bet with enough notice, we could get some kind of group together and get it done. Many hands make for light work. And it would be fun to see everyone. Any volunteers?
Gloria
kHT

Post by kHT »

Chris,
We select two projects a year to work on and sometimes a third or fourth pops up but there is a main project for spring and fall.
Time and money is a big factor in this also, DH has wanted a lower sitting area for some time and the rocky one wasn't to his liking
now that he has the great hosta garden to look at. It's a nice spot to stop if you are out with the dog or you are headed to the garden.
We are looking at our spring project of a new pathway to the front door, I so hate the sidewalk that is currently there.

govgirl75, that would be so much fun!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
kHT

Post by kHT »

4 long years of the neighbors' dogs barking at us and we couldn't use our east part of the property due to them limbing up
there trees so it was just time for this to go in. With all the problems with their dogs and their attitude we are in hopes
this will help! It's been up for an hour and the dogs aren't barking if I'm out working in the greenhouse. I'm done with this
fall's projects!!
Attachments
DSC05683.JPG
DSC05683.JPG (50.27 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
DSC05684.JPG
DSC05684.JPG (47.84 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Good fences make good neighbors. Good for you. The fence looks beautiful and will be a lovely backdrop to whatever you decide to plant there.
Glo
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That is a beautiful fence!

And thanks for the suggestion Gloria, but I think I'll stick with the fun end of July get together. I wouldn't want to drag people here to work, and besides, once we break out the beer and wine I'm certain nothing would really get done :lol:
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Beer, wine, and weeding, OK. Beer, wine, and wall building, maybe not such a good idea after all. :lol:
Glo
kHT

Post by kHT »

I thank you both! We so loved the north property line with last falls putting in of that section, so this was the next section to go in.
We figure to do the whole property we are looking at close to $20,000 in fencing so a section at a time is how it has to go in. Beings
that we had chainlink on 3 sides, we loved the openess of the yard some 22 years ago but with more neighbors now, it's just time to
do this! It's sure an added expense but well worth it!!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply