Hogweed

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

homerdog

Hogweed

Post by homerdog »

My brother.s neigbour has this weed growing in his backyard close to my brother's fence line He has quite a rash from it.It is really tall.How to you get rid of it my brother was going to call the ministry. He heard that if you rub your eye's after touching it you could go blind I have never heard of such weed Have you's?
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Hogweed

Post by govgirl75 »

Here is an article about Giant Hogweed, what it can do. After reading about it, I am glad I have not seen it here.
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-12 ... --,00.html
Click on the brochure link at the bottom of the article to read more.
Here is an article on ways to kill it. http://plantsbulbs.suite101.com/article ... -rid-of-it
Hope this helps.
Gloria
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Be sure to cut of the flowers before it set seeds..wear glowes, rather many people are allergic to this plant

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
homerdog

Post by homerdog »

Thanks a lot I will tell my brother to tell his neighbor as my brother broke out in a bad rash from it.He was going to call the natural resources and get his neighbor to remove.it. I haven't heard yet.His neighbor needs someone to call them as their grass is about 4 feet tall and they haven't cut it all summer.I am not knocking the Chinese people but they are his neighbors :?: :?: .Maybe they don't believe in cutting the lawn who knows.
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Hogweed is indigenous to central Asia. China is part of central Asia. Maybe it makes the neighbors feel at home.
Glo
homerdog

Post by homerdog »

govgirl75 wrote:Hogweed is indigenous to central Asia. China is part of central Asia. Maybe it makes the neighbors feel at home.
Glo
It must cause the people haven't cut their lawn yet.The town went after them this week and told them to cut it or else which is a good thing.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Weird, the Chines people here nearly keep everything so neet. They have a passion for pinkish concrete stones, but that just about taste :lol:

We still have a giant hogweed problem here, but it is going down. When I was a kid in the 60' the dried flowers was a hit. Placed on the wall and brought home from the wild on top of the car :eek:
Did they spread :roll:
Our name is bearclow :wink:
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply