Need some help!

Discuss garden design, share general garden pictures, or discuss general gardening topics not specifically related to another subject area.

Moderator: Chris_W

gardening granny
USDA Zone: 5

Need some help!

Post by gardening granny »

I had a diseased flowering crabapple tree, so cut it down. Around the base of the tree I have planted a large garden of myrtle. For two years since cutting the tree down I have had crabapple suckers coming off the tree roots all over the myrtle. I have pulled the suckers off, painted them with RoundUp . . . all to no avail. This spring they are more healthy than ever . . . any suggestions how I can get rid of the suckers? Thanks
viktoria

Re: Need some help!

Post by viktoria »

Cut all the suckers off and then paint undiluted RoundUp on the fresh cuts. Some more suckers will appear but just repeat the treatment and you should not have to do it more than three times. I buy a cheapo dollar paintbrush for this, wrap it in plastic wrap between treatments and then throw it out.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
gardening granny
USDA Zone: 5

Post by gardening granny »

Thanks for the reply victoria . . . it's very hard to get to the suckers through the myrtle, but I will sure give it a try. . . did paint the leaves, but didn't carry through to the root.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Rip some of the myrtle out. It will come back.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

If Round Up dón't help and I think Victoria have given you some very good advises, here is the old recipe... drill some holes and fill them up with HCl ( chemical formel), you may call it hydrogencloride :-?
Other methodes are the cupper nail one, but it takes some times ....or a pile of salt on top of the cut, never tried the last one.
My father was an expert in the cupper nail thing when he got tired of a neighbourg tree :blush:
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply