Amaryllis 'Red Lion' in bloom

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Amaryllis 'Red Lion' in bloom

Post by Pandora »

This was nearly a tragedy, but maybe turned out OK. I had this potted in a special pot and on my island in the kitchen. It was just opening and I anxiously came home to discover it on the floor and the pot smashed and stem broken.

I cut the stem and put in a vase and it is finished opening! I repotted the bulb and gave it just a little drink and will let it rest until next year. I hope the bulb will not mind having the stem cut this time.
Attachments
P0002339r.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pretty!!!

I just threw out a bulb, that I had from two years ago....Never could get it to re-bloom.....I have two other, also.....What do you do with them, and do they rebloom for you? I wish mine would....

Thanks for the picture!! :D
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

:eek: Lucy, don't throw them away. At least you could [trade them here on Hallson's! I am no expert, but probably the one thing I do, is in Sept, lay on it's side and don't water for a month, cut the dead foliage. Mid-End of Oct set upright add some topdressing and start watering. The later I do this, the later the bloom in mid winter.

I have 2 and I think they have rebloomed every year. One might have skipped last year and is a little late this year.

In the summer, I plant pot and all in the back of a sunny bed and give a little fertilizer.

Some people let them go back to a summer bloom like you would dahlias. Dig up in the Fall, store in the winter, plant in the Spring, bloom in the summer.
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

No Lucy do not throw them out.

Pandora, is doing almost what I do. I put mine on the back deck all summer where it gets sun and I give it some bulb booster, The more leaves it grows the more blooms you get.

In sept. bring it in and I continue to water. It blooms when it wants anywhere from Jan-Feb. Most people want them to flower for Christmas. They stop watering and let it dry for a month then bring it out and start the water process.

I need the flowers in Feb so I just continue to treat it like a houseplant and do not stop watering. I keep it in a sunny window and they bloom every year for me. I have had some multiply.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

LG,

Please don't throw anymore away, but don't send any to me!!!! :lol:

I was at a 'big store' after Christmas 2 years ago and they had them for $1.00 a piece. I bought almost all they had. So last year I had almost 20 blooming in my house. :eek:

That was Way Too Many for me. I sent about 10 to a Sister in Law in Alabama. I think I have 8 now.
Jumbo Clown is the largest flower I have.
Apple Blossom is is the most prolific and the only rebloomer I have. It bloomed for me in Feb and then again in Aug last year. But sadly :cry: it has not bloomed for me this year. I had to split the bulbs last year and it still bloomed after that. :o (I have had Apple Blossum for about 5 years now)

Someday I would love to get a double one.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o OMG, where have I been??? :o Totaly missed this thread! :(

I did throw one out already, but do have one other one....I think I will try to see if we have any left at work to pick up another....I think I will put it outside like you guys say, feed it (I never have) and bring it inside in the fall.....Hope I get it to bloom like you guys....Shoot, now I wished I hadn't missed this thread......I wouldn't had thrown the others out.....:-(

Thanks you all!!!
New Topic Post Reply