Can you help me identify this tree/palm?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

angelily

Can you help me identify this tree/palm?

Post by angelily »

This is a picture of my sisters tree/palm, we are not sure what it is. She got it at a garage sale for $3.00, and the woman who sold it to her didn't even know what it was. It is producing babies on it's trunk and I would love to have one, but don't want to take one off if it will hurt it or the momma. My sister said she saw a guy on t.v. talking about his dragon tree and she thought his tree looked like hers, but isn't sure.
Attachments
sans palm dragon tree.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi angelily!

Shoot, I have seen those like in doctors offices and vets offices or somewhere like that...:lol: Hope someone can help you!!

Good Luck!
angelily

Post by angelily »

Hi LucyGoose,
I know I've seen them several places also. But don't have the slightest idea of the name. I sure hope someone can help me also. Just want to know what it's name is, and if it would hurt it for me to take one of the babies off of it. Then if I can take one off how would I go about planting it?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Looks like a Madigascar(spelling) Dragon tree.
If you cut it, you'll get two shoots comming up below the cut. The cuttings root pretty easy. My son had one in his room for a couple of years. Last year, he didn't bring it in when the frost hit it. :eek: Madigascar is pretty tropical. :roll:
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hi angelily! When I first saw this pic, I recognised it to be a Dracaena marginata.......and Old earth dog ID'd it with it's more common name!....p :wink:
angelily

Post by angelily »

Thank you for helping me with the name of this tree. My sister and I greatly appreciate it. In the picture if you enlarge it, there are two little ones sprouting off of the trunk, can I just cut one off of there, or how would I go about getting a start of this tree?
New Topic Post Reply