The big box store sucked me in today...

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee
USDA Zone: 5

The big box store sucked me in today...

Post by Dee »

*sigh* Why must they put the summer bulbs and tubers right by the entry door? Don't they realize I can't resist those pretty pictures on the packages? *sigh*

Oh wait, I guess that's their plan, huh? :lol:

So I treated myself to....

Dahlia ‘Park Princess’ (light pink cactus form)
Dahlia ‘Purple Gem’ (deep raspberry semi-cactus form)
Dahlia ‘Arabian Night’ (deep raspberry decorative form)
Dahlia ‘Fire and Ice’ (red and white striped peony form)
Dahlia ‘Lucky Number’ (light pink decorative form)
Dahlia ‘Mystery Day’ (purple with white tips decorative form)
Dahlia ‘Veritable’ (white with purple tips cactus form)

Calla Lily ‘Alba Maculata’ (soft yellow-cream flowers)

Oriental Lily ‘Miss Lucy’ (white with pink edges – ruffled and semi-double flowers)

Freesia (mixed colors)

Liatris (purple)

I also got the nice tall greenhouse on wheels so I can start these pretties early and roll it in and out of the garage as needed.

The real reason I'm posting is....does anyone have any tips on a good soil mix for starting the dahlias? Regular potting soil might hold too much moisture? At least that seems to be a common problem I have when starting things early like this. What should I do to improve the drainage? I'm thinking I will start them maybe in late March so that they have all of April to grow. Does that sound like too long though? Should I wait until mid-April? I can't plant them out until probably at least mid-May, but I want flowers soon after...I am NOT a patient girl. :lol:
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Dee

I wish I could help you out.... but I've never started Dahlias inside before. I did however, see the big display you mentioned today at the local big box store here. It is soooooo tempting!

I resisted so far, but I think I will go back tomorrow since they said they were putting out the bare root roses and rest of the boxed perennials, including hostas. :D Oh be still my heart! :lol:

Good luck and I will be watching to see what the recommendation is since I might just have to grab a couple of Dahlia's for myself :lol:

Alexa
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

We have lots of dahlias growers out here. They just put them in the soil, which is sort of clay/compost mix and they do well. I think the one guy that has them in the front of his home puts them out about mid march.
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

I am your zone 5/6. I grow all mine in pots drag them in every fall in the pots. I grow them in Miracle gro soil.

They sit in a cool area no water and they start putting out leaves about mid-March.

I think if you put them in some soil damp not wet just dampen the soil and keep them warm they will probably start putting out leaves.

Move to a sunny place and water once a week.
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Thanks Aud...I potted them today and the soil was just a little bit damp on it's own so I didn't water them at all yet. Heck, some of them were sprouting a little greenery in the bag already so I figure they must not mind the dry huh? :lol: I will stick to the once a week watering like you said...don't wanna rot the little suckers. Thanks so much! :D
New Topic Post Reply