Elephant ear plant

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Hoosier Gardener

Elephant ear plant

Post by Hoosier Gardener »

I stopped at a yard sale this morning just down the street from my house. The lady there was very friendly and her yard is beautiful. I told her I loved the way her flower beds are laid out and we started talking about plants. To make a long story short, I came away with three large clumps of elephant ear bulbs. Is it possible to grow them in Indiana with limited shade? I have one spot that gets morning sun but total shade the rest of the day. The space isn't very large at all and certainly isn't large enough to plant all these bulbs. I'm wondering if planting adjacent to the north side of my home would be shady enough.
Soummer
USDA Zone: 4-5

Post by Soummer »

My mom and I both planted EE last year. Mine were in full sun, hers in conditions more like yours. Mine did well, but hers were stupendous! I say go for it!
Soummer, formerly Janet D.
My Page

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

I grew mine in full sun, but forgot to dig her up last fall. I think they like sun, from what I've seen :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I plant mine at the back of one of my hosta beds. Moist but some sun. They do great and the huge leaves are a real eye catcher. If you've got a lot of bulbs, plant them in a couple different areas and compare. You can dig the bulbs in the fall and store them in the garage for next year.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

If you remember to dig them up :roll:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply