Forget Me Not or yes?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Forget Me Not or yes?

Post by wishiwere »

When we were looking around in Cleveland a couple weekends ago, the plant place we were at, can never remember it's name........"P....something" anyway........they were handing out seeds for 'Forget Me Not'.

Are they plants that will reseed themselves or are they safe to put in the garden for one year?

Thanks!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

There are at least 2 different varieties of Forget-Me-Not. One is blooming now and makes nice mounds of blue green leaves with blue flowers. They get a little leggy later in the season, but they are adorable right now.

The other is hugely invasive and has jumped from one end of one of my beds into the lawn, across the lawn, into another bed and I even saw evidence of it in my neighbors yard :oops: If anyone has suggestions on how to get rid of that one (short of Round-up) I would love to hear it!

Be cautious... if it is the early blooming one it is fine. If it is the late blooming one it may take over your neighborhood!

Alexa
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I have no idea. It was a give away, so the packaging doesn't say much at all. It's Cynoglossum firmament if that helps. I'll do a search, as I didn't realize there were more than one type :(
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Burpee site says it's chinese annuals ,dies at frost, but nothing about reseeding and/or being invasive :)

Does that help?
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Hi
I have forget me nots here and I love them. If I get too many I just pull them out, they are very easy to pull out. Sometimes I even get white ones. *S* If I don't want too many the next year I just pull them out after they flower and before they set seed.

Debbie

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I'm like Debbie, I like them......I have blue & white, although my whites seem to be fewer.....If you don't like where they are, just pull them out....I really like to use them (and I do a lot) for when I cut roses to give away. They make the little bouquets so pretty....I let them come up where ever they want......only thing I don't like is when they go to seed, thoses seeds stick to your pants.....:lol:

I'd plant them....:-)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks Everyone. I think with our cold winters I might not have the problem some have with them reseeding. I'll give them try! They look so pretty, and I'd love some blue in the sunny garden :)
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

I love them! They are a real true blue and seem to look good wherever they pop up. They aren't a pest.
Bonnie
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I love em! I don't try to avoid the so called "invasive" plants. If I'm gonna be picking weeds in the garden, it's just as easy to control the "invasive" plants the same way. WQith the FMNs I let them reseed and when the new plants come up, I just pull and toss what I don't want.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I think they'll be pretty with allysum, so they will be planted, thanks! :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

My winters are cold like yours, and they re-seed, but not like you can't handle it....I love them.....Did I say that already?? :lol:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I will be trying them for that reason! I'llpost pics if it ever warms up enough to grow ANYTHING around here! DAnged weather! :(
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

I've got some pink ones and love them. They kind of move about for me. I planted them, now they are in a lower spot crowding some hosta. I am sure it reseeded, and the original plant was killed over the winter.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Makes sense that the seed would move downstream so to say with rain and wind :) Thanks, I'm going to try them where they hopefully will add color :)
Justaysam

Post by Justaysam »

they look really nice, I'll take a pic and post it after my rain stops. They do add a nice touch of color, I would like to have more, in more areas of my hosta bed.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks. So I just seed like allysum and they'll come up this year then?
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Many of the FMNs are biennial. The seed this year will produce plants, but those plants wont bloom till next year. The original plant then dies after blooming and setting seed. Once they are established, it just seems the same plants bloom every year. There is a perennial FMN, but most are the bi-s.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

The packet says annuals. Should I assume they are bi's then, or are they are really annuals?
New Topic Post Reply