Karma, or anyone ... Wanted to share a Brug, but now

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Karma, or anyone ... Wanted to share a Brug, but now

Post by Pandora »

it has leaves. I meant to cut a chunk of the stem off earlier, but you know stuff happens.

Can I cut a piece of the stem now and will it root or is it too late this year? If I can cut it, do I strip all the leaves off?

Thanks, from the procrastinator. :oops:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

A couple of questions first. Is this a soft wood cutting or hard wood? Are you hoping for a bloom this year? Is this cutting below the 'Y'? What variety? So sorry for all the questions but they will help me give you the correct answer.

Fall is the best time for cuttings for us up north but those in the south can cut at will, it's not fair!
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Hi Karma,
It is 'Charles Grimaldi' and it would be a soft wood cutting. I was thinking about just cutting off 6 or so inches off the end of one stem. It would be above the "Y". I was not so concerned that it bloomed this year.

If I cut it below any "Y" would it bloom this year?

It was for someone new at work that I don't know very well, so maybe I'll just wait til Fall. I was going to do it because no one was talking to him and he seemed so all alone. But I noticed last week that a couple guys have started to include him.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Soft wood cutting isn't something I would start a newbie off with due to they tend to mush fast if the person doesn't know what they are doing. Great one to start them off with to see if they can grow one. If cut below the 'Y' you will have to really push it to bloom as they would need to 'Y' again to bloom. I would start them off in the fall and strike up a conversation with the new kid and see what they do grow. I'd really hold off until fall. You have time to educate them on Brugmansia first! I just wrote an article for another site, let me know if you want a link as I know it's not proper to do it here. :wink:
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Thanks for the info, Karma. Please send me a PM. I'll read up on them more before I set someone up for disappointment.

I was rushing to work and did not really finish my thought in the other post. I started talking to this new guy and I found out that he is a fellow gardener. I've been in this building 8 years and have found only a couple other people to talk with about any plants and 2 months ago the best on retired. So talking plants has been fun. He is mostly into veggies, but said his DW fusses and I thought if he grew her some unique flowers, it might turn her to the "garden side". (((not the dark side, like Star Wars))) :lol:

Actually, it was Spring a couple years ago that someone included this "stick" in a hosta exchange and I have had the best luck with it.
kHT

Post by kHT »

If you need more let me know and if anyone else wants to read this PM me. :wink:
New Topic Post Reply