Browallia

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Curlylocks

Browallia

Post by Curlylocks »

Will they survive windy conditions and sun from 10 am to sunset?

I bought two not knowing anything about them because they were massive and for 7.00 each. Right now I have them in morning sun and in a pretty sheltered place from the wind but that's not what their intended home is. Depending on your answers I'll know whether to leave them hanging in their spot. Thanks.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh a solanaceae family relative to the Brugs. A great find as I hear they are hard to find at many local nurseries. They should bloom profusely in warm shade or filtered sunlight. Not to good with the wind but they recommend them in hanging basket or pots. What color did you find? They sound really interesting as they need no pinching back to make them branch out.
Curlylocks

Post by Curlylocks »

The colour is blue and it is absolutely beautiful. They are so full and they measure about 30" across so you can imagine the spectacular circumference. They are blooming profusely too. We're fortunate in that this nursery opened up close to our home and the great part about it is that East Indians own it and they grow everything right on the premises. Now I know for a fact that the men in that culture love to garden as I see it in our own neighbourhood and they are great at it. Their gardens are immaculate and what they can grow boggles your mind so I know their nursery stock is good. Unfortunately I won't be able to put the browallia where I wanted to, I guess I'll just have to get something that's more wind resistant but they do look good where they are and for $7.00 I learned about a new annual and wasn't out much money if they didn't survive. I'd certainly recommend it to anyone.
kHT

Post by kHT »

According to my book you can cut this back and treat it like any other plant in the gargage during the winter months. Watch for seeds and if you get any can we trade?
Curlylocks

Post by Curlylocks »

I'll try my best to overwinter it and if I get any seeds I'd love to send you some. Will I be able to send them across the border from Ontario?
kHT

Post by kHT »

You should if you have the proper papers and say they are a gift. What would you like in return? :cool:
Curlylocks

Post by Curlylocks »

You don't have to send anything in return. Just sending them to you because you'd like them is fine enough. I'll start finding out how to get these papers.
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Browallia is sensitive to wind and sun. I do not know where you are located so I cannot say how much sun they will take in your area, but for me it is out of the question to plant them in the sun. They do not recover well if they get too dry.

You can find (not easily) Browallia in a couple of shades of blue and also in white; the height varies. This is the prettiest shade annual I have grown, but it is hard to keep it adequately watered.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Curlylocks

Post by Curlylocks »

I'm in Ontario and I've hung them on an arbor so it's morning dappled sun and afternoon shade. They get watered twice daily (all my hanging baskets do) and I water in Miracle Grow every week. I guess I'm one of the few people that find watering very relaxing.
New Topic Post Reply