Any guesses to what this is?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Any guesses to what this is?

Post by wishiwere »

Last year I planted a couple of 'tropicals' that were supposed to like wet areas, b/c I end up dumping and filling a bird bath 4-6 times a day or more and wanted somethign that could take the water in excess.

Then at the end of last year when I cleaned up the bird sanctuary I piled all the waste and limbs, other garden debris from that area on top of these two plants as I ass.u.med they'd not make it.

Well, the yoke was on me again. When I started to clean up this area late this spring, low and behold here is this plant starting to grow up through this compost pile. It's pretty and I honestly can't remember if it bloomed or not last year.

Anyone know what it is? The backs of the leaves are a deep reddish-purple. The plant is about 22" tall and 2 and 1/2 wide. THanks! :)
Attachments
tropical unkwn leaf 2.jpg
tropical unkwn 1.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
mooie

Post by mooie »

Looks like a Ligularia to me! :D Love those plants, even when they pout!

mooie
~Imagine~
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Ligularia it is.
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

By George...........err.... I mean By Vyctoria & mooie! I think you have it! Thanks bunches. Now to figure out how to keep alive again! I was so surprised it made it! Must be all that birdie doo-doo composting that it loved! :)

Thanks ladies!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
New Topic Post Reply