Palm question

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Palm question

Post by Ginger »

Hope this is right place to post this question.

I have a friend visiting from Indiana and she asked me to post this question for you all.

She has a Palm that is about 5 foot tall. It is several years old. From what she says, each year the palm puts out bump like intrusions on the stalk. They do not ever split,ooze or anything, they just appear and then go away.

She wants to cut the top off of the palm and replant it because she said it is getting to tall for her to manage.
She is wondering if the bumps that appear are an indicator of where she should cut the trunk to make it root. Are these some type of new growth or what?

I hope this is making some sense to those of you who know about palms (because I sure don't, never had one) and you can advise her about re-planting etc.
She does not know what type of palm it is, but it has the thin green leaves , no varigation in the leaves at all.

Thanks

Ginger
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Ginger check to see if this is what she is talking about. Here is our CA Palm we picked up 8 years ago and I'm trying to remember about what the guy said about cutting the top off. I don't think he advised it but that was a while back. Is she wanting another one? I would think you local library would take the larger plant off your hands as ours here are all ways looking for good sized plants for the reading rooms. Then she could take a write off for it and get a smaller one. :cool:
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Karma, Thanks for posting but that is not it. It reminds me of a "corn plant" because the stalk is smooth and straight and the top is like a corn plant, only thinner leaves and solid green. I wish she knew what it is called. I have only seen it one time, so I am going off of memory. I will tell her to check with her local nursery since she really needs to find out what kind it is.

Ginger
kHT

Post by kHT »

Okay I have one of those but it's not pretty. We cut the top off as we do some of the other tropicals cane plants to see if we could re-root and well like I stated it's not pretty!
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

But is it still alive? I think she can live with not pretty for awhile as long as it dosn't die :lol:

G
kHT

Post by kHT »

Ginger it's looked like this now for 2 years. I keep watering it and hope it will do something. I put another plant at it's feet as I couldn't handle what I did to it. :cry:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Ginger......sorry I can't help ya....I just had to ask Karma.....Is that thing even alive?? :o
kHT

Post by kHT »

:lol: :lol: It has Brugmansia envy! :lol: :lol: Yep it's alive or it would of been tossed last fall. It's Master Josh's so it better live or I'm going to have to replace it. :wink:
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

:lol: at Lucy! Poor Karma, that does look really pittiful!
(spelling like I talk).. I think I will just let her figure it out when she gets home!

A girl here at work said you are supposed to notch the side of the stalk and put wet peat moss on it then wrap it in plastic and keep it moist. After several weeks you are supposed to see roots start and then you can cut it off and plant it.

Good luck with that stick!!! :lol: and seriously thanks alot for responding and trying to help me out!

G
kHT

Post by kHT »

Air layering didn't work on the first cut, so we took another one as this stick was well over 5 foot. I tried to get it into the recycle bin today but someone stopped me. :roll:
New Topic Post Reply