sweet potato tuber

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

phloxywis

sweet potato tuber

Post by phloxywis »

this spring i purchased some type of a sweet potato or potato vine (solid chartreuse color) for a planter. since our frost, the foliage has now died. when i cleaned out the pot i found some potato tubers. is there some way i can store these over winter so i can plant them in the spring?

phloxywis
jay dee

sweet potato

Post by jay dee »

Supposedly, you can store the tubers just like any tender tuber/bulb and replant next year. I am going to try it this year too. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Go for it!

jay dee
phloxywis

sweet potato

Post by phloxywis »

i think i will try it. i'll probably store them with some dahlia tubers/rhizomes---whatever.
phloxywis
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Yep, I dug up mine and kept the tubers also. Stored them dry in a paper bag in the garage. Hopefully next spring I will have lots of new plants!

Ginger
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Update,
Well my tubers did not make it over the winter well. When I took them out of the paper sack in the garage they were mush. I suspect I should have let them dry out better before storing them.
I about died when I went to buy more for my garden this year. Several good nurseries wanted $5.00 or more for a 4 inch pot with one plant. Good thing these spread fast!

I need to learn how to do these from seed!

Ginger
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I just tossed ours in the garage like I do the fushia and am now just getting them out and I see a sign of life already.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

KH, explain tossed them in the garage please. Did you leave them in the dirt? I really like them and would love to have lots more growing amongst some rocks I have by my driveway, but they are getting way to expensive for me if they are going to die each year.

Ginger
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah, explain yourself Karma! Inquiring minds would like more information please? :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
kHT

Post by kHT »

:o Explaining here, just tossed the hanging basket into the corner of the garage and watered once a month with the fushias. A towel was tossed over the baskets. No fussin' and they are starting to green up now that I moved them outside.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

:o Well I'll be darned... I have mine planted in a wheel barrow, but I may move them to pots to overwinter. I will try that and hope it works here. Thanks KH!!

Ginger
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Karma, that's too easy. :D Who da thunk? But then my fushia have never survived either. Do you cut the foliage off at the rootball?
My Hosta List

The Best Things in Life Aren't Things
kHT

Post by kHT »

Nope I didn't cut anything away, I just got lazy and tossed them in the garage with a few other plants. I have a corner that is well protected and close to the drier that funs a few times a week so they got that for the heat. I did have to cut away the stems that die from last year's neglect but they are still alive and growing. I think I'll get a few more this year. :cool:
New Topic Post Reply