Brug for mother's day

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dee_dla
USDA Zone: 4b

Brug for mother's day

Post by Dee_dla »

One of my best garden pals from the southern U.S. sent me a rooted cutting of a brug for Mother's Day! Please, I am going to need lotssssss of help as I've never had one! She said it is 'Julia Marie'.

Right now it is cold, rainy and windy here in NW Iowa with evening temps sometimes in the high thirties to low forties. (darn Iowa weather) :x So I've potted it up and put it under my lights in the basement. I really need advice as to when I can put it out and everything/anything else I need to know. I would be so grateful for any help!
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

"The poetry of the earth is never dead." ~John Keats
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Well, mine is in my breakfast area right now. You will get lots of help from others like KHT, but for now, I say you have done exactly right so far. They cannot stand temps much below 50F. I do not take mine outside until about mid June. They are heavy feeders and drinkers. :lol: :lol: come to think of it ...... sorta like me. j/k

That is a great present. I hope you really enjoy it. Mine bloomed the first year, but not until after I brought it back in the house in mid Oct. I didn't get any pictures last year.
Attachments
'Charles Grimaldi'
'Charles Grimaldi'
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, what a nice gift!! :beer:

Pandora, yours look nice! Is that it right NOW?

My cutting are all outside and have been......I took them outside a few weeks ago........They came out of dormancy and have leafed out.....They can take colder that 50 degrees....I think it's like down to 30'ish. Mine are fine....I have one planted out in the hosta's already, but DH has been in the hospital, so I have not got them all planted yet....

Good luck with your new baby, and just wait when it blooms!!! You will just think your in heaven!! :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Dee_dla, what a lovely gift! When I saw that name I checked with ABADS to see if it was registered and didn't find it. Do you know if it's registered or if it's been tested? I'm sorry but it's not one I am aware of and you might have to dig into this to find the right environment that it needs before moving forward with this one. Do you know the bloom color? karma's general rules will help but there is an exception to the rules with the newer hybrids.
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Oh, sorry, about the 50 degree. Mine seemed to really be unhappy with cold nights and dropped leaves.

Lucy, the picture is not now. Boy, I wish. It was taken in Oct of the first year I got an 8 inch stick. :lol: I was shocked that it got its "Y" and bloomed so fast. Right now it is almost 4 feet tall, but only has 6 leaves. I have taken it out on the porch on nice days, maybe I should be leaving it out. I left it potted all summer and did not plant in the ground.
Dee_dla

Post by Dee_dla »

KHT,

I did a google search and found a pdf "family tree" that says 'Julia Marie' is 'Charles Grimaldi' X 'Rosamond'. The accompanying photo is of a light peach flower. As I know very little about brugs that doesn't mean anything to me. :( Does the parentage tell you anything about care and growing environment?

Thanks!
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Pandora, just do what is good for you......I do have mine outside and have had them out......No dropping leaves....seem to be growing.....I haven't been feeding like I should as life is/was in the way....:lol:....Isn't it funny how those sticks get going? I need them to grow and fill out as I am using them for shade in the hosta bed....

Dee_dla.......Good Luck with yours!!!! :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Dee_dla, CG is a shade lover and Rosamond is a sun lover, this could be interesting!
Dee_dla

Post by Dee_dla »

Pandora, yours is reallyyyyy pretty! :cool:

Thanks, LG, I am going to need luck I think. You've got to post pics when yours are bloomin!

KHT, seriously? This will be interesting....now I am getting scared I will commit brugicide without even trying! :eek:
Dee
Dee's Hosta List

New Topic Post Reply