Suggestions for Zinnia bed?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

vintagedude

Suggestions for Zinnia bed?

Post by vintagedude »

I formed a 'zinnia island' around the birdbath in a section of the back yard. I didn't know they would get this tall. The plants have overpowered the birdbath but I really like them. I thought of removing the birdbath and planting a small ornamental tree in the center, but since zinnias are sun worshippers this is probably a bad idea.
Are there any trees or shrubs that you can think of with open whispy foliage that would still allow the sun on the flowers below?
Thanks!

P.S.: Sorry for the bad picture quality, but my camera is in the shop and had to use a disposable. :???:
Cap'n Tim
Cap'n Tim, from gardening hades, Oklahoma
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Hi Tim,

I don't know about a tree but how about just raising the birdbath up somehow. The flowers would hide whatever you used as a base to set the pedestal on.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Can Zinnias be pinched back?
Awesome lookin Herbie ya got there!
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

Actually Pat, raising the piece is not a bad idea at all. I'll look for things that might do the job.
Thanks OED, another beetle project nearing a close. You should see the reaction I get in traffic now. It's like driving a parade float down the road! :lol:
I think the zinnias can be pinched back, in fact it may be recommended, I'm not sure. I just hate to touch them right now with those big bright blooms on them.
John

Post by John »

Zinnias will almost have to be pruned back to encourage growth of new flower buds. Better branching too. I'd move the birdbath if needed, and maybe plant some red cannas in the center!
vintagedude

Post by vintagedude »

Funny you mention that. My 95 year old neigbor has a flower bed packed with red cannas and she lets me come over occasionally and take as many as I want to help keep it thinned out. Surprisingly the cannas are more than a foot shorter than the zinnias... they must really like that spot.
John

Post by John »

Hmmm, you might have to find some really tall cannas then, I think it is King Humbert? which is about 7 feet tall. Of course, you may want something for more immediate effect.

My Zinnias don't do much until late summer, yours are precocious!

Maybe a Brugmansia? A rooted cutting will put on about 8 feet pretty fast. Might need too much water and fertilizer for the Zinnias though.
New Topic Post Reply