Brugmansia

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Brugmansia

Post by Annie »

These are some of the cuttings that KHT sent me. I don't really know if I'm doing anything right with them but they sure are pretty.
Any tips on these?
KHT told me to ask away LOL. So here I am :lol:

All I do is water. I have never given them any ferts, am I suppose to? I love the foliage on this plant! Are they easy to transplant? I get really nervous thinking about putting them away for winter, I just know they will die :(

Do they need to be trimed any? Like the side branches?

They all are doing great, well not dying anyway WHOO HOOO! I planted a couple in one of the pots, thinking I can transplant them when they were started good. So can I move them into different pots without hurting them, or should I wait until spring?
Attachments
HKT plants mgi.jpg
HKT plants mgi.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 3187 times
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Love em'...but don't have much experience. I've been fertilizing the heck out of mine and they seem to be doing well???????

Stephanie
ladyblue
USDA Zone: 5B

Post by ladyblue »

Fertilize them!! They love it. Your's look nice and healthybut they love to be fed a couple times a week. They will reward you with the most beautiful, fragrant blooms!!Good luck with them!
Bonnie
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Looks good Annie but you should just put one per pot, once they get huge you will know why. Yes fertlize and I tell newbies do this on Sundays which is easy to remember.
As for trimming, it's a personal choice. You have to decide if you want a tree form or shrub of which you would just leave it be. Keep it up as it appears you have the nack!
madmama

Post by madmama »

Some day I will get brave enough to buy one of these!!! I think they are beautiful, but like Annie, I’m scared to death that I will kill it over the winter. :eek:
<font size="+2" I>Jane<I/font>
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:beer: Annie!!

yep, one plant per pot then put them in the ground somewhere if you can till fall.....I'll see if I have some picture's to show you.....

Okay...I do the tree kind shape....just cut those leave off going up a bit.....but not too far up cause yours are babies, but go up some......

Fertilize, Fertilize, Fertilize............:lol:

Hey Steph....you have them, too?? Cool.....Can we see?

Have fun Annie.....You have to get that sucker to bloom so you can smell it.....You just won't believe it!!!
Attachments
s 087.jpg
s 137.jpg
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Ok will seperate them tomorrow. Then put the pots in the ground? I can do that.
Now what kind of ferts do I use on them? I need names and stuff, I know nothing about fertilizers :eek:

Lucy your plants are sooooo pretty!

I love the looks of mine, I think they are pretty too, even though there are no flowers. The plant itself is really pretty.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Annie if you are going to put them in their own pots, be for warned about shock. I would strip off all the leaves and sink that size into a gallon pot with holes in the sides if you sink them into the ground, you might want to sink them in a double pot. PM me if you need directions as you will have to dig them up in the fall.

As for the fertilizer, Peters 20-20-20 is great but don't fertilize the ones you separate for a couple weeks and they start taking off in their new homes.
tsneal

Post by tsneal »

Well Kathleen yes and no....I do have several Brugs (nothin' fancy). Dad is the one with the Brugs. Now my Dad is not a gardener but someone gave him a start several years ago and he likes 'em. He started several in the basement last fall and that is what I have...doing great too!

He wanted something different so I bought him like 4 or 5 (mostly pinks) for father's day. We should have some different colors blooming hopefullly soon. I'll try to get some pictures when I can.

Steph
New Topic Post Reply