Caladiums?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Cheryl z4 WI

Caladiums?

Post by Cheryl z4 WI »

Hi,
I have red/white caladiums planted in with some Hostas......great color combo. Was wondering about digging em up and storing the bulbs. I bought em as plants z4. How do I store em for winter.
TIA
Happy Fall Cleanup!
Cheryl
Happy Gardening! :-}
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Cheryl!!

I have caladiums too, so I Googled and this is what I found out.........

In the fall, let the leaves die back, then before the first freeze, dig up the bulbs, leaving the leaves on. Store in mesh or paper bags between 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hope this helps......Mine are showing the effects of the cold weather too,........I will wait a bit till I dig them..... :D
Cheryl z4 WI

Post by Cheryl z4 WI »

Lucy Goose,
Thanks for the reply. Leave the leaves on, thats interesting. The temp in my root cellar averages 45 ish for the winter months. I'll have to find some place warmer to store em. Perhaps A closet will work for storage.
Thanks again.
Cheryl
Happy Gardening! :-}
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I just cut off the leaves that looked all droopy today....I bet we can cut the leaves off....I am putting mine in the basement....It's heated....I have never done these before, and if they come back, great.....and if not, well I'll buy more....:-) I had mine in a huge pot......If you use a closet, be sure not to forget them....:lol:

Anyone out there who has overwintered them?
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Lucy, OC has never been able to save any

Post by oldcoot »

He can never find any bulb underneath the leaves. Must be the dirt he plants them in. OC had never thought about planting them in with the Hosta. Has several places he could put them. Usually put them in pots on the deck or out in one of the raised beds....THANKS OC
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply