Ornamental Sweet Potato - Edible?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Arlene

Ornamental Sweet Potato - Edible?

Post by Arlene »

It's supposed to frost in the next couple of nights, so today I dug up my two huge driveway pots -- planted the Huechera and Hostas in the garden and will try to winter over or start cuttings of some of the other stuff . . .

My question: The ornamental sweet potato vine produced a huge pink sweet potato! I wasn't expecting it -- just never occurred to me that it might actually produce a tuber! Anyway, I wondered if I can bake and eat it like an ordinary sweet potato!

Thanks!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

If you haven't used any chemicals on it then I think it is certainly edible but I'm not sure how well the different ornamental species taste compared to the ones that are grown to be eaten. Maybe try it as an experiment, but I wouldn't plan a meal around it ;)
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Chris, that's what I thought -- an interesting experiment! I haven't used anything on it so from that standpoint it will be okay. I thought it might be interesting to see if it tastes like a regular one.
John

Post by John »

Arlene, I just store mine to replant in the spring, usually works well. Pretty expensive edible sweet-potato!
impatience

Post by impatience »

John, how do you store? Mine have always gotten moldy.

And what do you do in the spring? I have read about splitting the tuber up with an eye in each section. Since I haven't gotten that far, I don't know.

Thanks for your help.
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
John

Post by John »

I just put the potato into a brown paper bag, and store in a cool dark closet. And yes, this works some years, other times it does not. I don't cut it up in the spring, just plant it whole. I am sure dividing it would work if you wanted more plants.
Arlene

Post by Arlene »

Okay, you've convinced me! I'm gonna pop it into a bag and hope for the best next spring!
New Topic Post Reply