Planting brugs out

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Gruntfuttock

Planting brugs out

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Well, that's winter over and I've had the brugs in their pots inside the greenhouse where they refused to go to sleep.

They have small leaves all over them except for one which did sleep (Isobella).

I have also gained a new cutting and a seedling which is about a foot high now so I have 12 to worry about.

I had intended building a gravel patio to stand the pots on, but so many people have told me that they are almost hardy here that I've decided to build a new bed and plant them in the ground where I can cover them with fleece in the winter.

So much less hassle that way and more room in the greenhouse.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
John

Post by John »

Hmmm, wish you had some approximation of a "zone"...perhaps your average lowest temperatures?

In any case, the yellow and orange brugs will prove to be hardier (from the roots) than the pink and rose colors.

As insurance against loss, I'd suggest taking some cuttings from above the "Y" to bring inside in the fall.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

John, I have found here that it is the pinks and whites that have come back from colder temp. With loosing the yellows and oranges first. I only recommend plants that are over 3 to 4 years old before you decide to plant them into the ground. I sure don't recommend planting any of the variegated ones into the ground at all! Wishing you the best of luck in whatever zone you are in.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I'd suggest taking some cuttings from above the "Y" to bring inside in the fall.
That is part of the plan.

Mine are all orange or pink...probably. I haven't seen a flower on them yet due to various reasons.

The zone thing is very difficult here as the weather is so variable. It rarely drops below 20f, and then it's only a couple of days before it's in the high 30s again. Also the summers are cooler here, sometimes not getting above 70f, which makes some plants very late flowering, sometimes just as the frost arrives.

Last July the temps got above 90 most days. Of course we were on holiday in Spain for two weeks of that and I lost a lot of plants.

So zone 8 ish is possible maybe 9 this winter which has been warm with camelias in bloom at the beginning of February, and hosta eyes in early March.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
New Topic Post Reply