Brugmansia

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Brugmansia

Post by Annie »

I have no idea what I did wrong, but my plants didn't come back. They don't look mushy or anything.

Brought them back up from the basement, but they just didn't grow!

Dang it and they were pretty too :(
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
John

Post by John »

Wondering what you brought up from the basement... you say they were not mushy... Were they rooted? Did they have any leaves? Did you keep them in a dormant condition, or were they growing under lights?

Are you sure they are really dead? I'd expect them to have leafed out by now though.
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Assuming they were plants in pots. Did you water them at all over winter?
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

My questions are how old and what size? Newer plants can't take the dormant conditions of not being watered all winter. Secondly if these were older than a year or two they just maybe slow in coming back. We had some that took a full year to come back from the roots. More questions after we see your answers.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Annie

Post by Annie »

KHT, they are the ones you sent me last year.
Oh and they were in pots. Yes I watered them, when they looked dry. So maybe I didn't water them enough?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
kHT

Post by kHT »

Oh Annie, I would of keep them upstairs the first year. New babies as they were need extra care. You will have to see what I have for cuttings in the fall as we allowed ours to get to cold and they are mainly coming back from the roots this year. Keep watering and let's see if they come back from the roots.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
John

Post by John »

If they are not mushy... then are they still nice firm stalks? Have they been moved out into the sun?
kHT

Post by kHT »

No sun John, if she is just setting out they should be shade with min morning sun. Also give them a few weeks before leaves will set if they are going outside. I also do not feed them until they have been outside a couple weeks and then half strength. Keep us posted.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Annie

Post by Annie »

karma_Happy_Toes wrote:Oh Annie, I would of keep them upstairs the first year. New babies as they were need extra care. You will have to see what I have for cuttings in the fall as we allowed ours to get to cold and they are mainly coming back from the roots this year. Keep watering and let's see if they come back from the roots.
Oh crap. I kept them in the basement. I'll wait to see if any leaves come on it. Thanks for the info.

They are in the shade, get about an hour of sun in the morning. So I guess I did something right!

~~Annie~~
kHT

Post by kHT »

Keep me posted, I spotted buds this am while I was out watering. So I'll post a photo as soon as she blooms!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply