Orchids!

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Orchids!

Post by caliloo »

Yea, I know..... like I need another group of plants to become obsessed with.....

Anway, I picked up a single 6" pot at Home Depot with two different plants in it. I am pretty darn excited!

Here is the tag, I have no idea which one the tag belongs to or what the other one may be....

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Post by Tigger »

Two phals in one pot? Or is the second set coming from the same plant? I have to say, that second set is really bizarre; it's almost like the flower is semi-double, with undeveloped extra sex parts. I'm guessing the tag goes with the upper (normal) one, as the listed cross would give that type of flower.

David
janey

Post by janey »

I actually knew what that first orchid is!!!

Caliloo, I bought a Phalaenopsis like the one in the first photo on April 13th. It is still blooming....

Watch out, orchids are addicting.

David~someone who initiated me to orchids told me that orchids are to the plant world what man is to the animal kingdom---the most highly developed and sophisticated of the species.

True? This person knew a lot about orchids, but he also was known to expound at great lengths about things he didn't know zip about. Have always wondered if he was correct, or talking through his hat.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Thanks!

I asked on an orchid forum about them and it seems the consensus is that the tag represents the cross and the 2 plants are most likely the seedlings from that cross.

Orchids, like daylilies can produce dramatically different blooms from a single cross.

I like them both and hope I can manage to keep them alive.

THanks again!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

caliloo, thanks for sharing those lovely ladies. David has it right and enjoy!!

We are dumping our collection due to Master Josh has lost interest and we allowed that g-house to get to cool and lost many. They are pretty but space is becoming an issue in the g-house so something needs to go. No interest helps!! I'll keep a couple. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply