Caladium

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

sownsew

Caladium

Post by sownsew »

I bought a number of lovely Caladium this year. After initial die-down, they have started to come back quite nicely....just in time for frost!
I want to try to carry the bulbs over winter. I won't have room (nor probably the expertise or humidity to keep the whole plant).
Does anyone have any suggestions re the keeping of the bulbs?
I have tried them before with no luck.
Will appreciate any ideas you have.
Thanks
Nancy
John

Post by John »

I'm not good at overwintering bulbs, including Caladiums. But, I can tell you that it is important NOT to start them too early in the spring, nothing will happen until the soil has warmed up, other than the bulbs rotting.
sownsew

Caladium

Post by sownsew »

Thought that I would start them inside....Feb or Mar, maybe. Can't put them out till mid May, or later..
I have kept begonias, and they need to start in Feb, am just guessing that the caladium could need that much time too.
Have tried with caladium in the past, with 0% success. Am hoping for better ideas.

Thanks
Nancy
John

Post by John »

Might be good to start them indoors, if you have room. They are late getting started outside until it is fairly hot, but then they make very rapid growth.

More and more, I am using less tropicals. But I do like caladiums here and there among the hostas, especially red ones.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Last year was the first time I tried to save my Caladiums. They need to be brought in before the nights start going regularly into the 40s, but they will probably be going dormant by then anyway. I turned pots on side and let them dry out. Removed bulbs and kept in brown paper bags or old onion nets. All but one or two bulbs came back out nicely. They also multiplied in their pots throughout the summer last year. That was a pleasant surprise.

They must be kept very dry thru the winter. I may add some peat moss to the bags this year...do not refrigerate. Caladiums are best kept above 60 degrees, I hear.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply