Say Good Night Gracie . . . . . . .

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Say Good Night Gracie . . . . . . .

Post by kHT »

With the cold front yesterday we started cutting the Brugmansia back so we can have them ready when the Brugmansia house is ready to fill. As you can see it's not a pretty site for those of you that are newbies to them.
:oops: B. Reversed Variegated is a gift that we can't share so we will be rooting them for more plants next year as this one was our best show this year. Cuttings will be done in soil if they are green and the wood cuttings are in water over night before putting in soil. I failed to mention we have 130 of them to do this too! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

It's getting near that time for me too. It'll be my first time and I must admit to being somewhat nervous.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

:o I'd be nervous too! Karma, I can't imagine cutting them down when you have them still blooming! Do you wait till they lose their leaves, or while blooming to begin this treatment!

What a job you have ahead of you!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
kHT

Post by kHT »

wishiwere, This one just finished it's flush and was setting blooms again but this one was a gift from Dan @ TNN and no way am I to share her. She did so well this past year in her new location I want more!! Those 2 to 4 foot cuttings are safely tucked away in soil and in the greenhouse. I'm not saving or shipping out this year like past years, just not wanting to go the extra mile after doing this for 10 year?? :oops: It really depends on the variety and if I have space to see them bloom again. Mainly we just cut them back and end of the year. The variegated ones and some of the fuzzier leafed ones we don't cut back and allow them to continue to grow in the hotter g-house with the most tropicals in our collection.
Gruntfuttock, you can do this!! Take nippers in hand and cut until you can't cut no more!! Remember if you take them below the first 'Y' above the soil, you will have to wait until it 'Y' again to bloom. If space is an issue, try to stack them?? Yell if you need moral support, I'm good at holding hands. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Karma, do you have any pics of your greenhouses?
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
kHT

Post by kHT »

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a258/karmaHappyToes/

We are in the process of raising the roof on the Brugmansia house this weekend when we set it up
so that photo will be added. We here have to have a
permit to put in a greenhouse so by doing a temp. house I can get around doing the permit if it's only used a few months. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply