What's the best way to store annual's seeds for the winter?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

What's the best way to store annual's seeds for the winter?

Post by eastwood2007 »

I have a number of seeds I collected from marigolds, poppies (annual and perennial), Kong Coleus, cockscomb, rudbeckia, etc. Are they okay to leave at room temp, or should they be refrigerated or frozen to keep best?

Thanks in advance!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

I would say no to freezing. I just keep them cool & dry, use paper coin collector envelopes for storing. I have kept them in the "butter saver" section of the fridge in the past (but don't now due to issues w/other family members). They do fine w/o being refrigerated- just remember cool & dry... they'll be fine
Jeanne aka Hapygdnr
John

Post by John »

Cool, dry... and dark-- sounds good. I use the crisper drawer in the refrigerator for my seeds. Freezing would work for longer term storage, but then there are issues with proper drying of the seeds.
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

I read somewhere that seeds can be kept for years if dried and then placed in moisture-proof containers such as Ball canning jars with lids. I would keep them in cool basement temperatures.
Ceil
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I always keep mine in the fridge.....:-)
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Right now ours are in the house as we fill orders but we like to keep them in the garage in all their boxes and tote. :oops: Yes I have that many!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks everyone! I don't have that many...certainly not enough for a tote... :o That's great, Karma!!! Karma, is your garage unheated? I would like them to be as fresh as they can be next spring though, especially since I don't have very many...
Charla
John

Post by John »

Charla, I think Karma's garage, whether heated or not, will remain much warmer than yours in zone 5. Probably don't want the seeds to freeze, unless very well (over-) dried for very long term storage.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I have to agree with John here eastwood2007, we don't get many freezing days like you would back there in the midwest. When I lived back there we kept them in a unheated basement or spareroom closet around 50ish.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks everyone! I have my seeds cleaned, dried and enveloped! Going in the crisper today! :D Appreciate everyone's help...
Charla
New Topic Post Reply