Anyone Know?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

TeresaMy

Anyone Know?

Post by TeresaMy »

Do variegated Brugs produce non viable seed? :???:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Both our can B. Hunter or B. Jutner Peachy Cream came from B. Shorty's variegated! :oops: B. Charles G was the father pollen for them both if my memory serves without looking it up. Hope that helps. I bet the next questions is does the variegation come forward, sad to say not so far but there is some of us working on that problem. :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
TeresaMy

Post by TeresaMy »

Thank you! You've been most helpful!
kHT

Post by kHT »

Do play with the variegated one!! Matter of fact just last night I took pollen from B. Amarillo Paja in the Brugs house to cross the B. Shorty's variegation that is in the tropical house. :oops:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
John

Post by John »

I'm wondering if Karma will agree with me, that the pod parent MUST be the variegated brugmansia, in order to have the best chance of a variegated seedling. Also, that almost ALL of the seedlings from that cross will probably be viable, but will also be albino, and very short-lived.

There is no absolute in this, but I think those are the most common results. The good thing, is that it does not take long to see which seedlings to keep... there may be a green one or two, and perhaps a variegated one, the rest will be white or nearly-white, and can be culled.
kHT

Post by kHT »

((((John)))) I will agree to a point on the albinos, there is also a possible that a few will be green as this is a crap shoot in working with Variegations. It is finding the right combination that makes this work and so far we have seen a couple great examples here. One will learn to cull those that are weak and one need those albinos to continue the studies further. :wink: There are very few that work with variegation and understand their place or goals. It is also my findings that these may or may not need a colder period to germinate. With my work I tend to add a few more twists into my hybridizing that some folks can't. Sometimes one can't completely come out of the closet as I have seen some folks turn green with the Dat-mansia. We are beyond the crossing of the variegated parents and working on the next generations. We have also seen albinos stand alone and in full sun, thrive!! Let me take the phrase from Terra Nova Nursery, 'Think outside the box!'
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
John

Post by John »

Right! But for the average person attempting to grow Brug seeds, I'd imagine their albino seedlings would be doomed? And if they were interested in breeding variegated brugs, wouldn't the most direct route be to use the variegated plant as pod parent?

(((Karma)))
kHT

Post by kHT »

((((John))))) I'm just a simple housewife here!! :oops: One needs to do what one is comfortable with and it's hard to say what is average?? I can remember all these things that folks spouted at me when I started out with Brugs about variegation this and that. No hort degree or MG paper and so I learned, asked questions and pick the expert brains. But I can tell you it's not etched in stone as I have see variegation stand alone not only Datura but I know of a lady that successfully has an Albino Brugmansia that was removed from it's mother. Here is our albino Dat. for viewing:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... 5230CegMPc

((((John)))) In this crazy world anything is possible!! :wink:
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply