Suggestions Please

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Lionitus

Suggestions Please

Post by Lionitus »

I am graced with a large, south facing back porch. I hang 7 baskets on this porch every summer, always in flowering plants. However, I LOVE the Boston fern and this year I want to do my pots in green. I love the flowering plants but don't want to deal with the flower drop mess this season. I really am craving pots planted with all greens. I think it will give the hot back porch a cooling effect.

Do you have suggestions of what plants can go in these pots? The pots are standard plastic 12 inchers. I know that Boston fern won't survive the southern summer sun and hot conditions there, but is there something similar that will do ok in that location? I'm at a loss.

Thanks,
Lion
Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
- Victor Hugo
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

What about a combination of creeping sedum? I have several that I use in garden locations to scramble over rocks and bricks that would look great hanging in baskets. The bonus is they are drought tolerant and do really well in full sun. You can put several in each hanging pot and have a tapestry of texture and color variation that I think would be really pretty.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pl ... erms=74852

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Thanks Caliloo. I love that idea. Do I need to use a special soil? I have never tried the sedums and don't want to kill them. I'm going to read the article from your link right now.
- Victor Hugo
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

They thrive on neglect! Any well drained potting medium should work. I might even mix sand into regular potting mix or cactus mix.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Lionitus

Post by Lionitus »

Caliloo, that's what I kinda thought. I'll get a cactus mix. I'm sure I'll have to tinker a little until I get things just right. This will be this summer's big adventure for me.

Evelyn
- Victor Hugo
New Topic Post Reply