Down sizing!

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Down sizing!

Post by kHT »

Sunday was my day to have help so the guys pulled the biggest Brug out of her pot in a pot, removed her completely from her first pot.
The next tasks was to cut roots so we could fit her into the 5 gallon bucket for storage. Then she wouldn't fit into the Brug House so we
ended up cutting her back to just half her size.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Gruntfuttock

Re: Down sizing!

Post by Gruntfuttock »

Heavens to murgatroid!!!! I suppose I'll have to cut mine down like that to fit them out of the frost. I should have done that last week. :roll:
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Keep them close to the house and they should do just fine! One can also cover or hang Christmas lights if they are small to keep them warm.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
melrose
USDA Zone: 5

Post by melrose »

What zone are you in? I'm in zone 5 and I bring mine in and put in the basement. I do not cut any of mine back until spring. Should I be doing that now??
kHT

Post by kHT »

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46616

Here is where we keep ours and it really depends on the person that is caring for them. A lot of folks share cuttings as they find it's a better time to cut
back in the fall when they bring them in as a space issue. But I'm finding the more I play it's best to cut in the spring if space isn't an issue and you are not
sharing. This one was huge and we couldn't get her in the door when we had the 'Brug House' all up. Just a little handicap this year or she would of been in before
the plastic went up. I dream of a place where I don't have to cut back and they can grow year round, but again that might be to warm for me? I'm in the Portland
OR area where we have the best of all conditions for growing these. Zonal denial is what I have due to all the micro climates we have on our property. :frosty:
in the mountains but on the valley floor it's warmer!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I left mine out all last winter and had a tiny bit of dieback, but having moved house to a supposedly warmer but wetter part of the country I'm having my doubts about it being warmer. It could be that now I'm an hour's drive from the sea it will be colder. I'm more worried about the rain making the soil in my containers waterlogged which can do permanent damage.
Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
kHT

Post by kHT »

Grunt, sounds like you have a nice place if it's warmer and wetter, at least the mites should leave ya alone?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply