Hibiscus and Crape Myrtle

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Hibiscus and Crape Myrtle

Post by govgirl75 »

I love the crape myrtle tree. About 5 years ago, I bought a small one in Myrtle Beach and brought it back to Ohio. We have had it on the patio every summer and brought it into the north facing sunroom in the winter. It is getting rather large (5 feet) and I was wondering how it should be pruned to keep it manageable. Also, it is very slow to get started in the spring. We put it outside after the last frost date, but it takes a long time to leaf out. Any suggestions to speed things along?
I also have a tropical hibiscus we take in and out. Any suggestions for overwinter care in the sunroom? Pruning? When?
Both of these plants have lost their leaves and look a bit sad. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Gloria
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Hibiscus and Crape Myrtle

Post by kHT »

govgirl75, we have both here also and our Crape myrtle is planted in the ground and is like your slow to do it's thing.
But when she does what out as she takes off like gang busters. Sad to say she drops her leaves this time of year and
we have cut her back to a 4 foot managable trunk size. She puts on triple that in growth each year.
I would just treat them as house plants and the dropping of leaves so not bother us, due to the inside leaves
when grown are different than the ones they grow outside. Less pest mess too!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Hibiscus and Crape Myrtle

Post by caliloo »

Are you sure it's not hardy in your area? I have seem more and more Crepe Myrtles popping up here in chilly zone 6... or maybe there is a newer variety that is more cold tolerant than the ones we usually see down south?

My Neighbor just planted several this past fall, I will try to get the scoop from her, which variety, etc and see if there is something special she does for them.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply