elephant ears

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

gamekeeper

elephant ears

Post by gamekeeper »

The past two years I lost my bulbs suspect in cellar I used was to cold or damp will try this year in a cellear in the newer part of the house.Any suggestions?
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: elephant ears

Post by kHT »

We have kept ours growing in the house as a house plant for a couple years and then for the past couple years
the huge baby has been in either of the greenhouses. But this year we have 10 new ones that were planted
in the ground so these will be inside, haven't decided if they will be just saved as bulbs or pot them up. Just
keep them dry and from freezing is what I was told.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

I grow all mine in pots. I store mine in the basement with avg temps 55-65. I give the pot a 1/2 glass of water once a month. They usually have one very bad looking leaf all winter but take off very fast very early when I put them outside. Black Magic is my most difficult one. I have to make sure it does not dry out completely.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

It is my understanding that some elephant ears are bulbs and some are more like tubers - like sweet potato vine type. I'm sorry but I don't know the technical names for these things. Black Magic is one of the tuber-types.

The bulbs can be dug, but I heard it recommended that the tuber-types remain potted.

I put mine in the greenhouse and sparsely water. I've also kept them in an unused bedroom the same way...

They look pretty bad by spring, but as long as they are still alive they grow like gangbusters once you get them out...mine are multiplying so much I am running out of places to put them. :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply