lotus

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

joval

lotus

Post by joval »

I got a lotus this yr and I'm not real happy with it. I got 1 bud and it shriveled up and never bloomed.
Anybody have instructions on how to care for it and make it bloom.
And what do I do with it for winter in MN.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: lotus

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Is it a hardy variety? I've heard that as long as the water stays liquid at the deepest part these should survive the winter. If it freezes solid that would kill it.

I had a client several years ago with a very small pond and we would take the lotus and put it in a bucket and then put it down in her basement where it was cold but not freezing. It basically went dormant - the soil stayed moist all winter, but not soaking wet or anything - and we would bring it out in the spring. It flowered pretty good actually, which always surprised me.

I think that if your pond is deep enough it should survive. Hopefully it will flower better next year.

Chris
joval

Re: lotus

Post by joval »

Thanks for the info Chris. I'll bring the plant into the barely heated greenhouse and drain the water off it but keep the mud moist. I wasn't sure how to "winterize" it. I sure hope it does something next yr. The leaves are pretty, but I want a flower. Thanks again.
New Topic Post Reply