Question on Morning Glories

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Midnight Reiter Too

Question on Morning Glories

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

Should I give the young plants lots of water and then less water once they've grown and become lush? I have Heavenly Blue seeds.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
kaylyred
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Question on Morning Glories

Post by kaylyred »

Are you starting them indoors? In my (limited) experience, morning glories don't like their roots disturbed and so they're best started outdoors after the first frost. I started a bunch of seeds indoors and not a single seedling survived the transplant, even though they were robust and healthy. Maybe some other folks have had different experiences or know some tips to offer you about getting the seedlings off to a good start.

As for watering, I always water deeply only when my plants need it. The morning glories I've started outdoors, once they got going, seemed pretty carefree.
~ Karen

Check out Petiole Junction, my gardening blog!
See my little hosta list
I've also got a garden photo gallery.
Midnight Reiter Too

I always start them outdoors but they're pathetic looking. I think they need more water. I thought I had a photo of them to show you but I can't find one.
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I have lots of wild ones, pink and purple, that come up through the gravel at the west end of my driveway.Thats just rocks and clay. They don't get watered or fertilized or anything. I yank up most of them because there are so many. but they sure are pretty. They come up in late spring and grow quickly.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

One year I bought a plant when I was buying my flats of annuals at the store. I planted it out by the garden and it did great. It self-seeded and I've had Morning Glories in that spot ever since. No special care, they just come up volunteer and I yank out whatever I don't want.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Midnight Reiter Too

Oh, rats! I was hoping someone could tell me the magic trick. :hmm: Given that I've tried neglecting them and that didn't work, I'm going to experiment this year and give them lots of water.
New Topic Post Reply