Need some help

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Need some help

Post by Ginger »

Hey everyone! I need some suggestions for annuals to plant in my flower boxes this year. Usually I do Petunias but I am tired of them. I am planting some yellow potato vines for sure and I need something else to go with it. They will get shade in the morning until about noon and direct afternoon sun until about 5 so a total of 5-6 hours of sun depending. I would really like something that will contrast well with the potato vines. Any suggestions are appreciated :D
Thanks in advance!

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Need some help

Post by pauhaus »

Hey Ginger,

I have the same growing conditions on my deck. I've had really good luck with angelonia. Here's a link.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dict ... angelonia/

The dark purple would look great with your yellow potato vine.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I like that! I will look for the dark purple in my gardening center this weekend. Thanks Pauhaus!

Ginger
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

This website has a lot of container garden designs. A lot of the nurseries here have Proven Winner annuals. Maybe it would be worth a look for you.

http://www.provenwinners.com/

Gloria
impatience

Post by impatience »

Ginger, I saw some of these at the speciality garden centers for about $7 for a 4" container last year in around the end of April! Eek. Too rich for my blood. Then I saw them in May (mid to late) at Lowes for really cheap. I planted 3 of the dark purple ones in a bed in full sun. The three made a clump about 3-4 feet across. And they were beautiful. In Oklahoma these are real winners.

Let me know if you find them for a good price and I'll do the same.

Sandee
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Imp! Good to hear from you! 3-4 feet accross :eek: I am not thinking by flower boxes will handle that! They are small ones that I hang over my deck rail. But I do like the look so I will let you know if I see them anywhere.

G
Kas

Post by Kas »

I like the black potato vine with the yellow. I also like trailing geranium (not cranesbill) and purple wandering jew.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

My first thought was something lavendar to go with the yellow sp vine, so I would try ageratum (aka 'floss flower'). The contrast in textures would look great to me. I'd be tempted to also add some of the new coleus that like sun. The colors available are amazing, so I'd look for something in the red/green tones that wouldn't grow too tall.... and I'd only add it if I found the perfect 'match' for the vine and ageratum. But I don't have a sun situation like yours, and I'm in z5, so those might not work for either of us. lol!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
Midnight Reiter Too

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

govgirl75 wrote:This website has a lot of container garden designs. A lot of the nurseries here have Proven Winner annuals. Maybe it would be worth a look for you.

http://www.provenwinners.com/

Gloria

I love that site! I've been enjoying it for a couple of years. :)
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
impatience

Post by impatience »

Ginger, I have a friend who plants angelonia in a pot with many other plants. It works great. Apparently it grows as large as is possible. My garden had all the room in the world. Shouldn't be a problem with hanging baskets.

Did I mention that I really like this plant?

imp
Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I like angelonia, too...first tried it 2 years ago and did quite a bit more last year...I agree, it only grows for the space it is given...I had all mine in pots..
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
New Topic Post Reply