African Violets - any fanciers here?

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

African Violets - any fanciers here?

Post by caliloo »

I will be the first to admit, I've never been particularly successful with them. However, I was in the grocery a few of months ago, and saw a really pretty one with dark green foliage and magenta flowers. I usually buy a bunch of cut flowers for my master bath and toss them after a week, but this AV was so pretty and the same price as a bunch I decided to buy it. It started looking ratty about 2 weeks later, so I took it out of the bath (no windows) and stuck it in a windowsill in my sitting area. I gave it a little water and pretty much forgot about it. Two weeks later, I noticed it was looking perkier again so I picked it up and noticed there were 4 new bloom stems coming from the crown. Wow! This thing LIKES this spot! so over the last couple of months I have moved it in and out of the bathroom and actually bought a bottle of AV fert to add a drop when I water.

Fast forward to last week. I was poking around on ebay, and for no good reason decided to look at AV auctions. OMG! There are as many AVs out there as hostas! So what is a plant addict to do in the fall, but buy a leaf auction. Oh goody! Not just ANY leaf auction, I got a "sellers choice" of 24 different leaves (for a good price, shipping included). The very generous seller sent multiple leaves of most varieties and there were over 30 bags of leaves! So I went from 1 grocery store AV to 2 mini gerenhouses filled with 30 odd varieties that I have hopes at least some will survive. I do have them all labeled so I know what I have. I am absolutely astounded at the variations in foliage, and that doesn;t even include having ANY idea wht the blooms will look like! I am totally enthralled with these little babies and would love to compare notes with someone else who is "into" them too.

BTW - what is "girl" foliage? I have googled it and seen it used as a descriptor, but I haven;t seen an associated photo so I am not sure what that means.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Re: African Violets - any fanciers here?

Post by Aud »

Alexa, how are your AVs doing?

I admit to buying many at the grocery store only to kill them. I have never had any that lived. I do the same thing with the grocery store Orchids. I finally have one grocery store orchid that I have kept alive for a year. I might try AVs again.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey Aud!

They are doing really well! Thanks for asking. I have a couple of questions (issues) that I am reasearching, but that is part of the fun of growing stuff (imo) I love the research. Here are a couple of shots of my baby trays and a couple of close ups of some of the ones I have questions on - like how to separate multiple babies off a single leaf. Images are clickable to enlarge

Babies in the nursery trays

Tantalizing Temptation (2 crowns growing off 1 leaf stem)

Wranglers Ragtime Cowboy (leaves don't look like momma plant)

Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

Don't know how I missed this thread. I love African violets and have grown them off and on for many years. It is an addicting hobby and can easily branch out to collecting Streptocarpus, a pretty relative of the violet. There used to be a family owned greenhouse near by me and they grew the most beautiful violets and carps. They went out of business in the 90's and I kind of pulled back on the hobby. I still have some grandchildren of the original plants. I never thought of looking on ebay for them and already see some interesting plants.
Your leaf nursery and new plants look great. I hope you enjoy your new hobby. Are you planning to join an African violet society? Does Longwood have a group? As I recall, they used to have both violets and carps in one of the greenhouses.
Gloria
Angel3K
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Angel3K »

i killed them no matter what I do! I bring them outside for sun, but they seem to be dying..too much sun?

I have nice mound full of green leaves when Mother In Law bring it here, now...its back to ground zero.

What soil is best?

Angie
New Topic Post Reply