Jasmine

Use this area to talk about tender plants such as annuals, tropicals, and houseplants.

Moderator: Chris_W

Violet_Skies

Jasmine

Post by Violet_Skies »

I got a jasmine plant about 5 years ago, after a trip to New Orleans in the spring, I fell in love with the sweet fragrance in the air so I got one to have here in Wisconsin. It grew like crazy and is covered in fragrant white blooms twice a year for at least a month. In June, when it lives out on the balcony (I'm saying 'it" even though I actually call "her' by her name, Jazzy [creative, huh? lol]) and then again when I bring her in for the winter just before the frost comes, the indoor heat hits her and she thinks it's spring/summer again and blooms like crazy. I have added a balanced fertilizer once or twice over the years, but she seems to not like it, so I stopped. I've never repotted her either. Any tips from anyone?
You never know what the past will bring.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Jasmine

Post by Chris_W »

Not sure that you need any tips, since it sounds like yours is doing so well! I would say that unless it starts to struggle it should be fine. After a while I find that my houseplants seem to get salt buildup in the old potting soil so I repot if they start to decline and make sure the water flushes through when we water them. But I only grow things that seem to get by with little care :)
Violet_Skies

Post by Violet_Skies »

Thanks Chris, that is an excellent point about salt buildup. I will put repotting Jazzy on my to-do list once it warms up outside. She's kind of a big girl to try to wrestle with in the house. haha :-) I am pretty amazed that she's done so well. I am well known for killing houseplants. Only the most basic ones like my jade plant seem to survive, and that long vining plant that everyone has (dunno the name, heart shaped variegated leaves?), and cat grass for my girl Pearl. I even had a coleus cutting that grew well while rooting in water; as soon as I planted it, though, it keeled over and died.
You never know what the past will bring.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

VS you inspired me to get a couple variegated Jasmine last fall and they lived in the greenhouse all winter. They are currently in bloom and the smell is awesome.
I have gone to less MG and more kelp and bat guano this year. MG is only used once a month and what a difference!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
New Topic Post Reply