Black-eyed Susan problem, need help

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Denise_in_MI

Black-eyed Susan problem, need help

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Hello everyone! :D It's been a long while since I've been able to post, I am certainly in need of assistance.

I have a well established clump of Susan's approx. 4 ft. in diameter. The center of the clump is starting to get thin. I pulled up the clump in pieces and separated some plants out.

Reminds me of 'fairy ring' in hosta's. Are they known to develop a type of fairy ring? Can they become rootbound? The roots were incredibly tight. I have hardpan clay soil that is like concrete when it is dry.
Gardentoad
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Gardentoad »

I can't speak specifically about BES, but with many perennials, once the nutriants are depleted they decline but if they can produce side shoots the clump enlarges to get nutriants around it. In hard clay tho organic matter in the soil is used up and it gets hard in the middle. I get that here with older plants.
It only postpones dividing it if you use synthetic fertilizers because they contain salts that get concentrated in the soil.

I have heard of people just digging out the centers and replacing the soill there, but I tried that approach once but it was so hard to dig in my clay that I ended up dividing it anyway.

Another possibility is that an animal may have nested in it and killed the center. Most likly though, if it is an older clump, it just needs fresh loose soil with organic matter.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
largosmom

Post by largosmom »

What I recently read in my new perennial book in this case is to dig out the center and add fresh compost to the middle of the "fairy ring". The fresh compost will encourage new growth and it should fill in. Alternately, you can dig it up and divide it and return part of the clump to the old spot and amend with some fresh soil or compost and spread the divisions around, share with friends, or otherwise get rid of them.

Laura
Denise_in_MI

Post by Denise_in_MI »

Thank you! I divided up the clump and have added some compost into the old hole. Keeping my fingers crossed.
New Topic Post Reply