Calamintha grandiflora 'Variegata' question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Calamintha grandiflora 'Variegata' question

Post by Chris_W »

We started these last summer and this is a late summer photo. I love the color and the fragrance of the foliage but am wondering... As a member of the mint family are these invasive? I know they will spread but is it so bad that you wouldn't want it? Just want to be sure people know what they are getting when we start selling them next year.

Thanks!

Chris
Attachments
calaminthavgt.jpg
Roxanne

Post by Roxanne »

Chris, I did some research, and one source said it was non-suckering. One said it doesn't sucker much, and one said it is rhizomatus. Does that help? :lol:
Anyway, I don't think it would be considered invasive.
I got to look at alot of pics looking for the info. It is very pretty, and can take some shade, as well!
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

Chris- I just put in several of these plants this summer. They were beautiful up until the first frost. If no one else has an answer to your question, I can let you know when mine come back next spring! Susan
herbgrower

Calamintha

Post by herbgrower »

Chris - These plants are definately not aggressive enough,
nor do they set enough seed in a season to be labeled
"invasive"
"knowledge is wasted if it goes unshared"

http://www.botresearch.com
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

I've planted them twice, and have had trouble keeping them alive both times! I usually don't lose plants, but these really were dicey. Anyone else had that experience? Phyllis
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

I've had trouble keeping it going here too. I did get a few plain green seedlings from it, and I think there's a tiny piece of my original plant left out there. It's getting crowded out and overshadowed by other plants. It's not in the least bit aggressive, and definitely not invasive here. I love to come across it on a hot summer's day when I'm weeding and about tapped out. One whiff of the bruised leaves, and I'm instantly refreshed!
Linda P
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Could this be considered a ground cover ??

Post by oldcoot »

Chris, could this beconsidered a ground cover ?? Looks like it might be good around the base of some Lilimsin a part Sunny bed. How does it stand the heat..

it's pretty...................

That Funny and Friendly Old Coot named John saying "Come on Spring"......and do KEEP POSTING, and showing us PICTURES
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Gardendollee

Post by Gardendollee »

Chris

I have had this plant in my garden for 2 seasons and it is still in the same place only it's slightly larger. I am in Z5 and have no problem with it over wintering.

It does not grow fast enough to be used as a gc in my opinion. It is a really nice edger for a tiny raised bed that I have.

I think my plants definately benfit from shade it is getting from the tree it is planted under.
I planted it between the raised roots of the tree.

I like it it's really different.

Dolly
Gardendollee
Dolly * My Hosta List
SnowCrazed

Post by SnowCrazed »

Thats very pretty! I dont mind mints that are invasive. Heck, I invite them! What ever can compeate with the creeping charlie has a place in my heart.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Thank you all for your input. After reading the comments I decided to just wait and see how they do over the winter. I am very pleased to know that it is not invasive so will be anxious to see if they come back. I hope so! They are growing in rich soil that holds a fair amount of moisture. The winter has been cold enough to test them to zone 5 hardiness, so let's keep our fingers crossed :)

Thanks again!

Chris
ICGardner

Post by ICGardner »

The two plants I put in last year are back and look good! They are slightly bigger than last year. So far, so good :D
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Ours are back too, and doesn't look like we've lost any at all! They have definitely increased but just around a central crown. They'll be dug and potted up next week :D
Trish29

Post by Trish29 »

I've had Calamintha grandiflora `Variegata' for nearly five years, and it's still where I planted it. I've divided it a couple times, just to share it; it increases slowly from its roots. It's a nice one.
I live in the garden. I only sleep in the house.
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Very pretty! Hope its not too invasive :) I'll be trying it if I get down there :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
mountainlily

Post by mountainlily »

I've had a small plant of this for about 8 years here in my zone 4 garden (with reliable snow cover), and it survives but hardly increases at all. Love it anyway for its wonderful scent and good manners.
Barbara
Kas

Post by Kas »

Chris, it has been in my garden now for four years and is only a two foot wide clump. It does seed a little. Most of the seedlings I have found have been varigated like mama, but there are all green ones too. It has not done the runner thing at all. Very well behaved in my zone 7 PNW garden.

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
New Topic Post Reply