Question on Calla Lilies

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Question on Calla Lilies

Post by LucyGoose »

I bought 6 Calla lilies today at work.....I have never had these before, and want to pot them.....On the directions it say to plant 16 inches apart.....I was going to use one of my bigger pots, but when I bought them, I was thinking on putting all 6 bulbs in one pot.....They came in a package that you couldn't read the directions because it was on the back, inside of the package......so you had to cut them out to read it....(did you get what I mean?) How big do they get? Would it be better to use just two to a big pot? How big around do they get? It say's on the front of the package, *flower height 20 inches*....

Thanks!! :D
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I just found this googling.

"They can be planted 6 to 12 inches apart when grown in pots."
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Cool.......I do have some huge pots......I will just have to take my trusty tape measure and see if those giant pots I have will be able to hold all 6......I think it will be pretty....I have two each of white, pink, and yellow.....

Thanks Pat for googling for me...... :D
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Oh LG just eyeball them and the closer together the prettier they are. We had a whiskey barrel outside the front door we planted 8 years ago with pink ones. They were eye stoppers but last year we decided to change the pot. Well long story short the hosta is there and everyone missed the pink Callas. We put them at the one end of the memorial garden in the middle of the front yard. This will be there second year in the ground and already popping their little heads upward.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

What do you think about 16 inch pots? I just drilled more holes in two of them today, and brought them in.....I was thinking 3 in each??? I haven't planted yet.....I DO have bigger pots that I could put them ALL in, but DH is home and said I'll never be able to carry them out of the house in those....( :hmm: I thought that's what he is for...:lol: ).....They are the 20 inch ones, I think......Plastic......Is 6 too many for a 20 inch pot, or should I just do three in the 16 inch? I am soo bad.... :oops:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I'd do the 16" pots so you can carry, can't relie on them! Believe me you can't. :wink:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Okay they are planted.....I did all 6 in the 16 inch pot, Karma.....I felt like I do when I plant the hosta's....Like they are too close..... :???: .....It will be YOUR fault if that is too many in the pot....:lol: I have to blame someone, and you weren't home when I called making me kinda Tizzied.......so I planted them...:lol:
New Topic Post Reply