Blackberry lilly seeds

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

thy
USDA Zone: 7

Blackberry lilly seeds

Post by thy »

An Easter bunny send me some seeds from Blackberry lilly. I do not know them at all and a Google helped me to figure out they were more or less orange :D

So how to grow them from seeds ?

Can I do them in a big pot ? Do not want that bunny to invade the entire country :lol: so for security matter it will be the best thing to do.

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hi Thy!

Here's a pic of my Blackberry lilies from last summer.....some people call them "Candy Lilies"

http://community.webshots.com/photo/160 ... 3722KEvYAs

before blooming; back left of pic

http://community.webshots.com/photo/838 ... 1400WljNaX

Mine easily reseed themselves....just let those little black bulblets fall to the ground; they'll blossom the second year. Even the shiny black seedheads (bulblets) look gorgeous in the garden!......p :wink:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Pia, I don't have any Belamcanda chinensis (Blackberry Lily)
(aka Leopard Flower). I only have seeds from that Easter Bunny.

I do have Pardancanda norisii (Candy Lily) and I think they are very similar. I don't think they are invasive. I think if they grow too well for you, they could be removed easily.

I found this in a google search: "Pardancanda norisii
This Park introduction is the result of a cross between Pardanthopsis and Belamcanda."
Last edited by Patrushka on Mar 31, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

petal*pusher, great pictures!!.......See the iris looking foliage Pia? It took my plant a couple years to Bloom like it did last year, Pia.......I bet I have had that plant about 3-4 years.....Last year was the best......I don't think it would be invasive, for real....When the go to seed it is sooooo cool looking and they you can pick the seeds......they don't drop fast either, or mine didn't.....they looked cool....Although, I have never planted the seeds myself.....They might now bloom the first year.....Anyone know this??

The Easter Bunnies helper says PLANT THEM!! :lol:
Attachments
s 369.jpg
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. is so glad YOU posted.

Post by oldcoot »

And all of you great photogs who posted oictures. Now O.C. knows what he has to look forward to...A dear freind at the church (a lot OLDER than O.C.) gave his some seed last fall, still on the pod. Lookedd just LIKED blackberrys.
Hed did not know what they were, but planted them in a pot. He'll have to go look (still raining from yesterday) and seed if they are up. I sure hopped so. Pretty borderf flower...

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he is so glad Spring is finally here....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
doublemom2

Post by doublemom2 »

They're very similar to Pardancandas, which are super-easy to grow from seed. Some of my pardancandas bloomed the first year, for sure the second year. I just started mine in a flat and transplanted them up as they grew. You can't go wrong with them, they're not picky and are very colorful in the summertime.

Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
oldcoot

THANKS !!!!!

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. is NOW sure looking forward to them...

That FUNNY and VERY FRIENDLY Old Coot saying, he is so glad Spring is finally here....
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Thank you for the pics and the information. I will plant them tomorow in a big pot and then transplant them when they need to be :wink:

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

I love them, they're cold hardy in 7, will reseed and increase easily.
New Topic Post Reply