Astilbe question

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Squash Blossom

Astilbe question

Post by Squash Blossom »

This afternoon I bought three absolutely beautiful astilbe plants but absentmindedly failed to check the care card until I got home. I intended to use the plants in a fairly sunny location alongside a bright clear blue salvia but now I'm not sure how much sun a semi-shady plant can take.

I don't ordinarily think in terms of semi-shady and hope someone can tell me what their experience has been with astilbe.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

The key with them is just like hostas. They like lots of moisture, and the more sun, the more water they need to stay healthy.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sorry Ann, but no, if the salvia likes where it is at the astilbe won't be happy. They like rich soil, regular watering, and part to almost all shade. If they dry out for just a few days they aren't happy.

If this helps, though, they do like to grow in containers and can overwinter well in containers too. I put some in pots on either side of our front door at our old house. There I couldn't miss it when they are dry and poor a pitcher of water from the kitchen on them when they needed it :lol:

Good luck finding a spot for them
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

I didn't want to hear that! :wink:

I've got a good, shady, spot...it's even sheltered from the wind, and there are hostas close by. It's not going to be an area I can see from my window which is what my original plan was.

It's really unusual for me to buy any plant and not read the care instructions - I honestly don't know why I failed to yesterday. I've seen astilbe growing but this will be my first attempt to grow it.

It'll be pretty - the backdrop is a weathered fence and I visit the area almost daily changing water in a nearby birdbath. It's neighbors will be fern and an ancient Magnolia Fuscata that is totally covered in blooms right now...the fragrance is almost intoxicating.

Thanks!!

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
kiendu

Post by kiendu »

I have astilbe... lots of them. They cannot handle the sun. I've tried and tried them all over in my yard. I watered them like crazy and even amended the soil but they still couldn't stay in the sun. I moved some to a shaded area but the ground there was dry and hard so they didn't like that either. They need shade and rich moist ground to really do well. They divide so easily too. I just use the k-wack method of division and they just keep on growing.

Cindy
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Well that sounds like something

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. needs to get for his SHADED BEDS..Sounds good...

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply