BeeBalm Proliferation! Help!

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

BeeBalm Proliferation! Help!

Post by wishiwere »

Okay, I was warned this spring from someone that I would get Beebalm all over the place from 3 I put in last year. Is this what they were talking about?

Do they come true as to the same color and plant from whence they were thrown from? And if I potted up some of these babies, will I need just one of the, or a few or several for a nice size plant?

Any suggestions? Thanks :)
Attachments
Beebalm ut oh.JPG
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Sigh.... I wish I could be of help to you. I have no idea what baby Bee Balm looks like since mine never self-seed nor do they come back.

I think I am the only person in the world who can't grow Bee Balm :(
Alexa
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I'll tell you what, I had them die on me before too, but these went ganbusters last year (bees and butterflies) loved them. And now i've got a ton to pot up and put elsewhere! IF that's what they are. Someone else said they are, so here's hoping! :)
DryGulch

Beebalm

Post by DryGulch »

Gotta love it!

The hummers and butterflies do!

In the right soil, beebalm can be a tad invasive because it sets seed and spreads by runners. If you dig around the roots of these babies you will probably find they are all attached. I don't think my beebalm seed has germinated too often in my beds. The new shoots of beebalm in my garden usually have a more burgundy hue. You can always tell though because it is highly aromatic if you crush a leaf or weed too closely to a root.

I like it, invasive as it can be. It is a great filler and when I get tired of it after its bloom I just cut it to the ground (probably why I have very little go to seed).
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, I'll check on those rhizomes and see if that's what it is. I couldn't believe how many of them there are! Will each produce a plant this year, or will I need a few or several in a 6" inch pot to make a good sized one for now?

Thanks again!
DryGulch

Plants to a pot

Post by DryGulch »

I would put in about 3-4 and a root at least 4"-5" long, curling it in the pot. Beebalm tends to be tall and thin unless clumped.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, those are from runners, and they should all be from the same plants and most likely the same color. The roots spread right near the surface and are actually, in my opinion, easy to get out if you need to thin them.

The secret to success is good soil and somewhat cool and moist conditions. A very thick layer of mulch will keep them moist and give them some well aerated conditions to spread.

The purple varieties seem to be the most heat and drought tolerant. The red varieties seem to need the most moisture and a little shade can help.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Thanks, I really loved the attention they brought last year, so I'll definitely be keeping them around. :)
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

I've never seen any in my bed come from sed. I've never had a problem controlling them. I have the red ones. Cut them back afteer flowering and you get another bloom later. I've been tempted to mix in a few, wild, Horse mint with them. That's a wild lavender form.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

These are the reddish ones (kind of a dark fuschia maybe) and Chris mentioning they like some shade, I am thinking of putting some in with my hosta that tolerate more sun! they'd offer some shade to the hosta too then :)
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Some varieties are prone to mildew if they don't have good circulation. I've seen it on the wild ones, but not on my reds.
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Yeah, I had them pretty close (a set of 3) and nothing like wilt there at all) THey looked great, but I'll have to cut them back last year, b/c man, those blooms stayed so long I didn't have to, and so they lasted forever :) Looked great with the catmint too. :)
New Topic Post Reply