Granny Nanny's mystery plant -- new pics

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Granny Nanny's mystery plant -- new pics

Post by GrannyNanny »

Well, here's the mystery plant, as of today. It is now about 8-10 inches tall, with many stems branching off the main one, Its vertical growth habit is like a pyramid, and the leaves come off the main stem in threes, with the next set offset from the previous one, so that the leaves are always halfway between the previous set. Leaves are shiny when they first emerge, but soon develop a suede-like finish. It is not a woody plant -- the stems are soft, and they are green, not brown, as a tree seedling's would be. Any other guesses would be appreciated. Phyllis
Attachments
2005 4 17 Mystery plant 2.jpg
2005 4 17 Mystery plant 1.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I don't know.....I just wish someone would id the thing, weed or not!! :lol:
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

Looking more and more like a birch. Tree seedlings do not develop a woody bark when they first germinate.
KellieD

Post by KellieD »

They usually do not develop a multiple leader though. :???: Oh, heck. Call it a mystery, plant the darn thing and be done with it!!
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Possibly in the Hawthorn family?
DryGulch

Not a birch or a tree

Post by DryGulch »

I have grown a couple different birch from seed and it is not a birch or a tree for that...it almost looks like it is related to the velvet leaf or chinese lanterns something like that...both sort of weedy...
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

My first thought was Turk's Cap but I went outside and looked and I think the leaves are a little bit wider.

How did this mystery plant come into your possession?

Sometimes I find birds bring me some really neat stuff!! One year it was a tomato plant that grew and produced.

Ann
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Squash Blossom -- it grew in a seed flat of heucheras, from seeds I'd collected from my own heuchera plants. So, the only way it would have gotten in there would have been if it had blown onto the heuchera stalk, and then just got collected with the rest of that stalk. It had to be a tiny seed, however, because a big one would have shown up immediately among the "fairy dust" that is heuchera seeds. I don't think it's a tree, either -- all those little stalks coming off the main stalk don't look like a tree seedling at all. I'll keep posting pics, and eventually I'll plant it out, and see what it does. Thanks for all your guesses! Phyllis
Pandora
USDA Zone: z5 OH

Post by Pandora »

Could it be a begonia? Rather looks like one of my angel wing begonias that I have on the window sill.
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Hmmm.....I've looked at these pics every time I've visited! They sure look familiar to me!

Are the stems covered with little hair follicles? Any chance the bottom of the leaves are whitish in color? The growth pattern and deeply veined leaves almost look like some kind of a wild berry like raspberry. Anxious to see new pics!.....p :wink:
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Nope, not a raspberry, or any other berry I've ever seen. The stems have a little down on them, and the backs of the leaves are lighter than the fronts, but unless it's a berry I've never heard of, it's something else. I'll take another pic this weekend, and post it on a separate thread. Phyllis
mooie

Post by mooie »

Granny,

Have any agastache (hyssop) around close by? Kind of reminds me of that. :-?

mooie
~Imagine~
Squash Blossom

Post by Squash Blossom »

Enter it in the next Garden Club Plant Show. :lol:
To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

No, it's not an agastache, either -- I have some of those, but they look completely different. I'm leaning more and more toward its being some kind of tree or shrub, since it is lengthening out, with more spaces between the nodes where the offshoots and other leaves are. It still eludes me -- keep guessing! Phyllis
New Topic Post Reply