Spring Surprise -- Double Bloodroot

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

GrannyNanny

Spring Surprise -- Double Bloodroot

Post by GrannyNanny »

I had forgotten I HAD this plant, much less where I put it! Imagine my surprise when I found it blooming away in my front garden when I took my "tour" today. The blossoms look like mini peonies. Phyllis
Attachments
2005 4 17 double bloodroot.jpg
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Pretty!
Marlys
USDA Zone: 5B

Double Blood Root

Post by Marlys »

Phyllis,

Double Blood Root has to be one of the most wonderful little woodland plants in the entire world. The first time I saw just the single Blood Root I was captivated by it. It was several years before I actually found someone who had some to share. I traded hostas for it.

Then for the double BR I traded hosta Flame Stitich. That's how badly I wanted it.

The white blossoms just glow in the early spring garden. The way the leaves are wrapped around the stems is just so cool & when the leaves unfurl after the flower petals blow away, they steal the show. Their shape & character are just the best thing. I love 'em. And they multiply so well if left undisturbed.

A truly great plant.

MM
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Oooooooo very pretty! How tall are they? Is that deep shade?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
GrannyNanny

Post by GrannyNanny »

Jane -- they're pretty short -- about 4-6" tall -- and they're in a shade garden, although in the spring they get quite a bit of sun before the trees leaf out. It's not strong sun, however -- they'd dry up and blow away if they were planted in a sunny spot. They're a woodland plant, and like shade and lots of humus in the soil. Phyllis
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Just perfect for the spring then! Thanks. :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

My singles are under a rhody bush. With the rhodys having such shallow roots, I'me afraid to divide and move them. Any suggestion on how and when, without disturbing the rhody roots to much?
New Topic Post Reply