Verbascum 'Carribean Crush'

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Well, I've reported bad results with this one and even planned to rip it out... I planted them in the summer of 2003 and last year they came up, were eaten by some kind of small beetle, the flowers came out small and ugly looking, the foliage looked bad... Now I wonder if the cool, dry spring we've been having has helped.

I was so ready to rip these out and didn't even bother to weed that part of the growing area as everything around it has been harvested and just planned to spray roundup there. Do you think plants know when their demise is at hand? :lol:
Attachments
Kas

Post by Kas »

Chris, I know they do! My folks have a dogwood growing beside the driveway. One side of it died and didn't put out any leaves for many years. My dad decided that he wanted to widen the drive and planned to cut the dogwood down in the process. My mom raised holy heck and told him that it was not dead and he couldn't touch it :o . Well, I have no explanation for it, but the next spring the WHOLE tree was covered in bloom and it has leafed out on the previously "dead" side ever since. I didn't believe my mom until I saw it for myself. Do you have any ideas on why this could be besides a miracle?

Kas
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; and inside a dog, it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mooie

Post by mooie »

Chris,
I have one of these also and it nothing but look bad last year. Mine looks like yours this year! Could be the dryness, but could also be a maturity thing too. I love the colors in with the sunnier hostas so am going to just keep it there and see what happens! :D

mooie
~Imagine~
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Chris, O.C> agreeswith you completely.

Post by oldcoot »

O.C. has a heart to heart with ALL his plants almost everyday. Keeps telling them BLOOM or you are out of here. Wow, he's hard on those plants....(Don't ever remember him throwing one away, just digging it up and planting it somewhere else- where it usually does better ! Old softy)

The usually FUNNY and always most FRIENDLY Old Coot named John, a Gardener for the Lord, saying thank YOU LORD for his good friends that share and for the nice rain that has made all our plants grow so well this year
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Lovely, Chris. :) I had some purple verbascum (violet something or other) a few years ago but it didn't come back the following year. That pic makes me want to try some again. :) Do you think they are picky about soils at all? I mean, lots of compost or do they like yuckier, more clayish soils? Anyway, yours are very pretty!
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Dee,

I've had the best luck in well draining soil enriched with compost. Lost some in pots one summer after they got too much water. Have had other rot problems too, such as in storage, so I think they need it dry during the winter. This one seems to really be enjoying the dry spring we're having!
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Chris, I have some 'copper rose' I started from seed this winter. They aren't putting up stalks at all. Just flat on the ground, but look healthy. If this the norm for their first year?
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

Yes, that is normal. They won't bloom until the second year.

Chris
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Chris, try putting it some where out of mind for a while and see how it does. How about the corner of the compost pile?
New Topic Post Reply