Hollyhocks!

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Hollyhocks!

Post by Ginger »

I planted these from seed last year, and this year they are blooming wonderfully! I really wasn't sure if I would like them or not, but I love that red color, and so do the hummingbirds :D
Attachments
DSC00079.JPG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow!! I love them, too....

I have the black one, pink, and then this year I bought a double.....can't remember the color though....:lol: I think pink...sheesh....Yep, they are great plants!!

Thanks!! :D
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Lucy! Are you supposed to dead head these once the blooms die back? I was not sure if I should or not.

Ginger
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

This is the first year bunnies haven't eaten mine down to the ground already, so I am hoping for once to get to see one maybe?

Your's are gorgeous! I hope I have one to show.......... that's all I am asking! Just one! :)

So you planted them outside last year you say? :cool: Were they your seeds, or store bought?
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Old earth dog

Post by Old earth dog »

Not sure about deadheading. They are a biennial, meaning that particular plant will die after it sets seed. Those seeds will sprout this year and stay small till next year when the cycle starts all over. Each generation may not be the same as before. Mine have been in the garden for years and are plain old pink ones.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

You have Holleyhocks BLOOMING ??

Post by oldcoot »

O.C.KNEW he was having a cold spring. His are barely two feet tall. Planted them as seedlings two years ago, did nothing last year, but started out out looking really good this year. Maybe if we get some warm weather soon they'll "spurt". Nothing does much in 60* weather and rain all the time..Coldest spring and wettest spring on record. AND last year was the hotest, and dryest. who can figure. Lost a lot of my Liliums, it was so wet...

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Pam R

Post by Pam R »

They are so beautiful, Ginger. Love the red ones. I haven't had hollyhocks for quite a few years and I miss them. Mine always got rust and the snails just loved them.
<FONT COLOR="blue">Pam</FONT>
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks guys. I did plant these from seed last year and they came up beautifully. I was told not to expect flowers the first year, so this year I waited with baited breath to see what would happen. They really do look good, and I am glad to know they will reseed themselves (thanks OED I did not think about that). Old Coot, they do like a lot of sun and water! Mine did not start putting out flower stalk buds until last month, and they really took off when the temps starting staying in the mid 70's to low 80's.

G
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. made a special efforft

Post by oldcoot »

to look at his this mkorning, Growing some, but now that it has finally warmed up some (94 at 2:00 today) I should se somed rapid growth.

Thanks, let you know how it turtns out....John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Annie

Post by Annie »

Ahhh good ole fashioned hollyhocks!
I love the old kind, not the double ones. I have some growing too. This is the first time since I have lived in this house the rabbits didn't eat them!!
I'm so excited to see them in bloom.
Yours are so pretty!

As for dead heading don't. The orginal plant don't live that long and the seeds keep them going.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

Such gorgeous flowers! They always make me think of my Gramps, he had them growing along the side of his garage. Imho, I absolutely would deadhead them or they'll take over. You can leave a couple or three blooms but I wouldn't recommend more than that.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Those are so pretty! :cool:

I just bought some potted doubles yesterday. :D I'm going to look for seeds for the old fashioned ones next year.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Annie

Post by Annie »

Peg,
At my dad's place we had them but they never took over or got tons of the either. Maybe cause they were not in good soil?
Where they were planted was nice and dry LOL. We never really knew how to prepair soil and such :lol: We just stuck plants in the ground anywhere! So I guess if they are in prepaired soil they would take over huh?
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I prepared my soil, so we can use mine as a test and see how many more I get next year! Used lots of homemade compost, soil is pretty sandy anyway, and they seem happy now :D

'G
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

They are all nearly laying on the ground now! I thought it was due to high winds we got Sunday night, but when I came home from work yesterday I noticed Temper (the oldest boxer) was standing in front of them and was in the "I'm getting ready to jump" position! There was a big ole bumble bee on one of the flowers, and she was getting ready to jump up and try to snatch it! Now, I wonder if she isn't the culprit! She has been stung several times, but she does not learn! Goofy dog! I guess I will get some string and try to rope them back up!

G
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Ginger, they are beautiful, love the dark pink color. I have only grown the 'black'. I tried to keep mine deadheaded, but if you miss just one seed pod, you have about 100 chances of getting another plant. :lol:

From 3 plants that flowered for the first time last year, I have 1 or 2 managing to begin flowering (well, almost ready to flower). The seeds must have germinated late last summer and this is their 2nd summer. I think if you have them in good soil and you don't dead head, you will have a ton of babies. A neighbor does this and digs them up and sells them at the neighborhood garage sale each year. She always has a lot! :eek:

My little input about hollyhocks:
Dad calls them Alley flowers since they were the only flowers people could get to grow in the harsh conditions of an alley.

Sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply