Does Delphinium seed come true?

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Does Delphinium seed come true?

Post by toomanyanimals »

Here is my prettiest Dephinium IMHO. I grew it from seed that I received in a trade 2 years ago. I managed to keep 4 from this batch alive. One is a wonderful dark blue, another this tri-color, one is light blue and another more pink. I'm assuming these were from one plant and they are hybrids. Silly question I know, but I would like a definit answer. Mostly because I would like to know if this Beautiful Delph. has a name.

Oh, and it is 4 ft. tall.

Sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
John

Post by John »

Gorgeous blue.

No, delphiniums grown from seed will not come true, the only way to propagate more of the same named hybrid would be by asexual reproduction, such as division of the clump. Of course, if you are growing species they will come true from seed, but not hybrids.

Your plant may very closely resemble, or even appear identical to a particular named Delphinium, but it is not a 'clone', rather a 'seedling'.

You do not have a location listed (zone/State). Here is NJ zone 6/7 Delphiniums are very short-lived perennials as they do not thrive in our very hot summers. Hope you can keep your plant going in your locale, it is beautiful.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Thanks John, I thought so. I'm in zone 6 so I hope I can keep them for a little while. I will just keep starting seeds and planting new ones. Maybe this one I will try to separate next year if it comes back.
I didn't know I would love the Delphs so much!

We do get hot and humid summers once in a while.

Sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
DryGulch

Have hope!

Post by DryGulch »

I have had a delphinium that I have moved around, divided transplanted....for 15 years. I originally grew it from seed. It is dark blue with a black bee. It's height ranges from 4 feet to almost 7 feet depending on soil, sun, rain... I have even grown it under a walnut. I have grown it in zone 5 (Chicago area) and now in central WI. I usually do not need to stake it and it blooms twice. I am pretty good at cutting out the center stalk and the lateral stalks when they have finished bloom. I try not to let it expend the energy to set seed. It seems diminished when I do.
insam

Post by insam »

that is a very interesting and beautiful flower. collecting the seed and planting it would be fun because though it will not come true, you may get similar results.... even improvements. these are short lived in my experience in zone 6/7. they don't like the hot summers so much that we have in the east. but they can look nice for a couple of years for sure... even more if you coddle them a bit perhaps.
New Topic Post Reply