powdery mildew on phlox

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

hostaaddict

powdery mildew on phlox

Post by hostaaddict »

Do any of you have this problem? I just moved a plant today as the area was becoming too shady and the plant gets it every year. It is a tall white phlox with prolific blooms and I hate to get rid of it. I moved it into a sunnier bed in the backyard. Did I do the right thing by moving it and trying to keep it? Will it spread to some of my other phlox now that are in same general area? I try to buy the ones that are resistant but wonder if they really are. Is there a product I can use to control it since it is quite infected now? Should I dig it and burn it? thanks for any help...............Jackie
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Jackie,

The powdery mildew can occur anywhere, so I wouldn't trash the plant in order to try and get rid of the mildew as it is going to be around anyway.

Some phlox can fight off the mildew on their own when they are growing well. Being too shaded probably contributed, and if it was also suffering from drought that can lead to it too.

You could spray or dust with a fungicide to help prevent new mildew from forming. Spraying with hydrogen peroxide can also kill some of it too, but doesn't last as long as a fungicide and may need to be reapplied a couple times in the next few weeks to be completely effective (add 1/2 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide to a gallon of water).

Only trash the plant if it continues to get worse no matter what you do... I've had a few phlox like this and just gave up on them.

Good luck!

Chris
hostaaddict

Post by hostaaddict »

thanks Chris. Just found some Ortho stuff at Wally World that says will kill it. Stuff costs twice as much as the plant originally did LOL! Will try that and will keep an eye on my other phlox that I have in different bed.................Jackie
insam

Post by insam »

this is a chronic problem in many areas. i've had some plants get it when the conditions seemed unlikely to promote the mildew. i would even purposely only water the roots etc.... some cultivars reportedly are more resistant than others and no doubt that will be a direction breeding/selection will need to focus on further with these plants.
New Topic Post Reply