Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

MrsMustang

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Post by MrsMustang »

Good afternon,

I have a quick question. I bought from my local nursery last week a very healthy Crocosmia plant. I seperated and planted it as soon as I got home and within a few days it has slowly been drying out and loosing its flowers. I'm in the midwest where it has been very dry and have been watering this poor plant every day. I did do some research online regarding soil conditions and sun tolerance. According to what I have found the plant should be fine where it is planted. But, I'm pretty bewildered on why it seem to be dying. :eek: I need some advise please....

Thanks,
Mustang
Dee
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Dee »

Well, my guess would be it is stressed a bit from being divided. Dividing when a plant is flowering isn't always the best idea. I would have waited until it was finished flowering, myself. You shouldn't have to water it quite so much though...that seems like overkill. :???:

If it makes you feel better, I moved some crocosmia this spring (late) and had them actually sitting on top of the ground for a little over a week - bare root - no soil. They were dried up and dead looking but I planted them elsewhere and wouldn't ya know they have sent up new greenery and are doing just fine!

It might be a good idea to cut the flower stalks (what's left of them) off this season and let the plant focus on establishing a good, healthy root system. Good luck!! :)
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I think Dee has hit the nail right on the head
Separating the plant in flower has been too much for it. Cut it back now and it will be fine for next year
Attachments
lucifer.jpg
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

O.C. Loves Crocosmia.

Post by oldcoot »

Moved some last summer and lost every one of them. Moved some last fall that really did well. Have a few Orange ones showing up out in the D/L bed. (Don't ask me how) Will try to get a picture. eren't very big blooms and the heat may have gotten them. Haven't been out there since I got the Canna shot.

John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Mine died last year..... :(
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

I'll have plenty of seeds if y'll want some! Dee is right on this one!
Susanne in Germany

Post by Susanne in Germany »

A few years ago I noticed in early summer, quite some time after a move, that I had forgotten my Crocosmia bulbs in the basement. They had been out of soil for at least 1.5 years. And they looked awful, shrunk, hard, woody, no sign of life.
So I tossed them on top of the compost box.
A few months later I had the most preciously flowering compost box ever. Though many of the small corms had not survived, the bigger ones had rooted and were flowering wonderfully.
I then planted them out in the following spring, along the veggie patch in an elevated position, and again the larger bulbs established very good, flowered nicely and survived winter outside without problems.
The rainy year however damaged most of the smaller bulbs and made them rot.
I learned from this that if the corms are of good size and quality, Crocosmia can take drought over a long time, also can stand moisture and survive winter.
New Topic Post Reply