Hardy Hibiscus

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

outtahand

Hardy Hibiscus

Post by outtahand »

Anyone know how to root some winter hardy hibiscus?
I tried cuttings in water in the past, got a few hair roots,
then the whole thing died.
Someone told me Roottone & perlite, someone else told me
to use potting soil. Anyone done it and/or can tell me how?
I have had this one for 5 yrs, its blooms are about 9"-11" across.
I believe this one is Lord Baltimore.
Attachments
Lord Baltimore.gif
~*jim*~

You CAN change fate.
Destiny doesnt care about the pattern,
as long as the result is the same.
Jim's Hosta List
Deb118

Post by Deb118 »

Jim,
He is stunning! If you find out, let me know, would you? This is the second year for mine but he hasnt bloomed yet. I just love them!
"Hold fast to dreams for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Hibiscus are funny plants

Post by oldcoot »

I dug up one (wish I had had C hrises front end loader. Took THREE of us to getg it out of the ground. Was planted where I wanted to put some Iris. Moved ther stump out into the back yard where it will b et more shade. Didn't do ANYTHING the first year, not even put up new shoots. Low and behold, this year it is COVERED WITH BLOOMS. O.C> threw several of the shortg braches over in the woods behind one of the driveway Iris beds. That fool stick did nothing last year (didn't plant it - just threw it out on the edge of the woods). It must have liked the good dirt that wash down from the Iris (they are on a small slope)
because sevral WEEKS ago - IT BLOOMED. Wish I could have made some pictures, but that was when it was so hot the blooms just burned up

Does it have any SHOOTS off to the side, sometimes they do that, you could try replantging them this fall or next spring ..

That Old Coot named John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I've had the best luck dividing off pieces in the spring. When I know I'm going to do that I'll bury the crown with compost in the fall then dig down and cut off a piece of the crown in the spring that has some buds showing. They don't always take, but usually they do, and then they grow like crazy once they settle in.

When I've tried to root them I've had about the same luck as you. However I did bury a stem one year, without actually removing it, and a few babies rooted out and grew along the stem.

We also find seedlings all around.

Good luck!

Chris
John

Post by John »

Good advice from Chris... I have tried to root these with no success at all-- some people say it is easy!

They will most often grow and bloom the first year from seed started early; I've done this under lights with good results.

The 'other' hardy hibiscus, the H. syriacus (Rose-of-Sharon) will root for me if dipped in hormone (12" cuttings) and then placed into seed starting soil in a one gallon container in the semi-shade.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

It is my understanding that these do not like to have their root disturbed at all. I am playing with the TX Star ones and I have (keeping my toes crossed) gotten one stalk rooted so far. I was told put them where you want them and leave them alone!
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

I can say that is definitely not true as we move hardy hibiscus all the time without any trouble. Spring is best but we've also moved them in the fall and early summer. If you move them while in bud you can get a lot of bud drop on them, but they will recover and bloom the following year.

Last fall I dug up a huge clump of Old Yella and forgot it behind our pond. It sat out all winter, bare root, covered with snow most of the time. This spring I found it and the roots still looked healthy so I put it in a 30 gallon container and brought it back over here. Right now it is still in that container with over 50 buds on it. This thing is huge! I still don't know where I'm going to plant it, but it doesn't seem to have minded the abuse we gave it ;)
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

You showed me that one, Chris - on the east side of the house - right? Didn't you say it was in the pot for quite a while at the new place before you ever put any soil in the pot?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Yup, on top of all that we left in in that pot without any soil for quite a while, thinking it was a goner :lol:
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Amazing plant

Post by oldcoot »

Did you see my post about the branch and part root, I threw out on the ground in the woods. Did nothing for two years and THIs year had the prettiest white blooms around..

Will post..............John
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
John

Post by John »

Chris is no doubt right about how just how hardy these Hibiscus are...but there is a method I was told for transplanting them which works well for the ones which like swampy soil in particular, probably H. moscheutos, palustris, coccineus and others: think of it as transplanting the 'crown', pruning off much of the roots and the stalks, then watering in extremely well and keeping moist thereafter. I have done this with trades and it has worked well.
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

Thanks John, I'll have to try that. It was an old timer that told me it was a no no when he gifted me this Tx Stars and I would hate to loose them since he is gone now.
outtahand

Post by outtahand »

I have gotten seeds from my Lord Baltimore hibiscus
in the past, but someone told me they dont come back
true from seed-
There's a couple of Rose of Sharon around here, though,
and I pull seedlings all the time- if they bloom, they are
either lavender or white, identical to the parent bushes.
~*jim*~

You CAN change fate.
Destiny doesnt care about the pattern,
as long as the result is the same.
Jim's Hosta List
jay dee

hardy hibiscus

Post by jay dee »

The Texas Star (coccineous) will come true from seed. I started some last fall and then planted them out this spring and they are blooming now. I continually pinched the seedlings back and had a nice plump plant to put in the ground.

I hope they are easy to move because I need to move a Fireball this fall since it is devouring one of my beds and I have the perfect spot where it can devour an area and be appreciated.

jay dee
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

We moved our Fireball this spring and it is just covered with buds right now. It had to have had at least 10 blooms on it today. Of course, I was at work :roll: . I got to see what was left over tonight. But it is still covered. We moved it just before it started to bud, early this year.
We just make sure that we take as big a rootball as possible when moving them.
Lynn
Susanne in Germany

Hibiscus coccineus

Post by Susanne in Germany »

I bought a Hibiscus coccineus recently. I searched the net trying to find out more to give him best conditions for a start.
The plant is now positioned next to my pond in humous, moist, slightly acid soil in full sun (if there is sun :roll: ).
I hope it will thrive there.

However, the information I found was quite differing, especially in regard to height, width and flower size. The latter varied from 2 inches to 8 inches. Now I'm wondering whether there are different varieties available or whether it is a question of food and climate zone. I garden in zone 7/8.

Would you please share your knowledge and experiences with me? Thank you.
John

Post by John »

Hi Susanne,

Sounds like you have perfectly positioned your Hibiscus. It will very often reach eight feet tall, and the flowers will average six to eight inches wide. The only concerns with this one is to keep the soil moist, not allowing it to dry out in the case of drought. You would see the leaves wilt in that case, but some watering would soon take care of that.

Enjoy!

John
Susanne in Germany

Post by Susanne in Germany »

Thanks, John!
I'm very much looking forward for this plant to become tall and flowering. Next to the pond there's a little terrace where I intend to place my hammock - should I ever find time to rest in it. :lol:
The terrace is surrounded by scented flowers and shrubs, and I hope that the Hibiscus will add to an exotic athmosphere on warm summer evenings.
New Topic Post Reply