Lookie What I Found!

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

PeggyB

Lookie What I Found!

Post by PeggyB »

I was stunned last week to see this Hibiscus growing in the very rear of a hosta bed. This is located on the north side of our garage in totally dry shade! Now the question is, do I leave it where it is or move it to a sunnier location?
Attachments
hibiscus volunteer 2 8-13-05.jpg
hibiscus volunteer 2 8-13-05.jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
hibiscus volunteer 8-13-04.jpg
hibiscus volunteer 8-13-04.jpg (17.27 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning!! :P

I take it you didn't plant it there? So, maybe a bird or something....How cool!! There was a thread somewhere about moving the hardy ones....

Thanks for sharing!! :D
putnamgardens

Post by putnamgardens »

Nice volunteer!. I learned that my Florida brother was a member of the AHS....that's American Hibiscus Society. I can see why he fell for those HUGE and lovely flowers. Thanks for sharing. Later, Love, Lisa
Attachments
fun brick & orange crush.jpg
Have I mentioned lately that my drinking team has a hosta problem?
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

If your beautiful surprise is a volounteer....I'd say it already IS in the best place! That little seed decided to make itself comfy right where it is....I'd leave it!

The blossom is beautiful....the fact that it's able to blossom nicely there is a good indication! ......p :wink:
lazygardner

Post by lazygardner »

Yeah, I was gonna say, if it seems happy leave it where it is. Lucy, did you find that thread on moving hardy hibiscus? I have one that needs to be moved. Its either that or dig up the wegelia bush.... I just don't know what to do! They are too close to each other.
Before criticizing someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them you will be a mile away and have their shoes!
John

Post by John »

If it looks good in the hosta bed, why not leave it...apparently there is enough light for it to bloom. And enough moisture to keep the hostas happy.

To move hardy hibiscus, I'd cut it way back, and also trim the roots as needed; transplant the 'crown' and water in well. Remember how late these are waking up in the spring!

Have to like those volunteers!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I just love Hibiscus of all types. I would say leave it there, except it is going to come back bigger each year. You do need to cut it down really low in the fall. Maybe after it dies back and the Hosta go to sleep you can move it to another location. They do like sun, but I have them here in OK in a northern area because we get such hot intense sun that it bleaches out the flowers and they don't last even the day.

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply