Fun Salvias...

Use this forum to discuss hardy perennials and bulbs. Full shade plants should go in the shade gardening forum.

Moderator: Chris_W

doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Fun Salvias...

Post by doublemom2 »

OK... S. Lady In Red isn't a perennial for me, but I still grow it every year cuz it's bright and fun. Salvia forskarolei (sp?) is hard to get a good photo of, the color is a wonderful kind of periwinkle-blue. Salvia lyrata doesn't have fantastic flowers, but I love the color of the foliage and it's been really drought tolerant for me this year :)

Andi
Attachments
Salvia lyrata 070705.jpg
One of my favorite perennial salvias.
One of my favorite perennial salvias.
Salvia forskaohlei 082705.jpg (16.75 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Attracts hummers and butterflies like crazy!
Attracts hummers and butterflies like crazy!
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

S. Lady in Red is one of my favorites, too. Sometimes it will reseed a bit. Another one I really like that's very similar is S. Coral Nymph, great color - but it's not as easy to find around here. Lady in Red isn't all that easy some years.

Salvia lyrata's foliage is very nice. Don't think I've ever seen it before. What color are the flowers??
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
doublemom2
USDA Zone: 8

Post by doublemom2 »

I have Coral Nymph also... got seeds from Select Seeds (I think that was the place?) and will be keeping my own seeds every year. I've only had Lady In Red reseed very little, so I'm always sure to save some of my own seeds every year.

The salvia lyrata has kinda puky-brown colored flowers, very small and not at all interesting, but I just like the foliage so I let it grow. It does tend to reseed quite a bit, but it's easy to weed out.

Another fun salvia I grew this year was S. Blue Denim... where the bracts are a bright bright blue, very showy at the front of the veggie garden along w/ Coral Nymph and Lady in Red. Will have to go out and get a photo of it.
Andi
Andi
Discover Wildlife... Have Twins!!!
renaldo75

Post by renaldo75 »

That one sounds neat, Andi - is it the same form as Lady In Red?
GO HAWKEYES!!!

Renaldo's Hosta List
Latitude: 40° 59' 17.6676"; Longitude: -94° 44' 28.014"
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi Andi!!

I love those too....Haven't had one in a while, but I did a few years back.....

Very pretty pictures! :D
New Topic Post Reply